Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Need some advice on mixing my sub-bass

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Belguium
    Posts
    79
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Need some advice on mixing my sub-bass

    Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey folks,

    I've been working on a track last couple of days and i'm having a hard time getting my sub-bass to sit nicely in the mix.
    Sometimes it just seems to dissapear, and other times it becomes boomy and loud depending on which note is being played.
    I only started noticing this when i listened to the mix outside of my room. When sitting infront of my monitors the problems are not as pronounced. Maybe something to do with the acoustics in my room ?

    The bass comes from a short sample i cutted out of a track and re-arranged in midi. It's also sidechained to the kick.
    I'm working without a subwoofer on krk rokit 6's.

    You can find a sample of the mix and a solo from the bass in the attachments.

    Hope someone has some more knowledge about this than i do

    Cheers.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Jef Ferson; 09-09-2017 at 06:28 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    105
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    The lower notes seem to be a bit quieter but only a bit in my setup.

    Perhaps you're playing this on a sound system that rolls off the bass a lot down low, that would make the lower notes quieter.

    Tricks you can get around it so it's audible on all systems would be to use some distortion / exciter to add some upper harmonics that "less than ideal" speakers can reproduce easily. You'd still get the bass roll off down there but the upper harmonics should be fairly consistent giving a more balanced sound. Make sure to check references in the same key that hit those sort of notes and see if the bass drops off down there on those systems as well.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to jrace For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Belguium
    Posts
    79
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jrace View Post
    The lower notes seem to be a bit quieter but only a bit in my setup.

    Perhaps you're playing this on a sound system that rolls off the bass a lot down low, that would make the lower notes quieter.

    Tricks you can get around it so it's audible on all systems would be to use some distortion / exciter to add some upper harmonics that "less than ideal" speakers can reproduce easily. You'd still get the bass roll off down there but the upper harmonics should be fairly consistent giving a more balanced sound. Make sure to check references in the same key that hit those sort of notes and see if the bass drops off down there on those systems as well.
    Thanks for the advice jrace !

    I think you're right about my system not being able to handle those lower notes to well. I played around with a sine wave at those notes and they are definitely allot quieter for me.
    Might have to look into bigger monitors or maybe a subwoofer.

    But the tip you mentioned about using some distortion did actually help quite a bit ! I already had a decapitator on the bass but i handn't touched the drive on it yet. I upped that pretty high and lowered output, and it's coming through allot better now So thanks again for that tip.

    Think my next step is to have a listen in a car and see how it sounds in there.

    (I added a new mp3 if anyone is interested to hear the difference)

    Greetings.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Jef Ferson; 09-11-2017 at 06:16 AM.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    408
    Thanks
    73
    Thanked 52 Times in 52 Posts
    flat frequwncy headphones monitor subs the best, if you don't have speakers that can reproduce it... multiband compression can pull down the higher note frequencies, and leave the deeo low end, so you can sit it better in the mix, parallel compression could also assist u

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    525
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 51 Times in 48 Posts
    try a linear phase EQ on it. If you're using a low-cut EQ on your sub, that normally introduces phasing, that drains the power.
    lwj - local space music

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to localspace For This Useful Post:


  8. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Tacoma
    Posts
    115
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    If you are using midi for this sound, maybe try some saturation. Maybe don't compress the lower notes to the kick, but compress it by using a volume envelope at the start of the note instead....may help.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to DJMSherman For This Useful Post:


  10. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    My advice is just head for the best EQ you can get on those subs! It will at least solve the problem of velocity inconsistency when different notes are played.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Joromix For This Useful Post:


  12. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    55
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I agree with with many others have said here. I listened to this on an augspurger system. Try some saturation. Sub frequencies are a tough thing to deal with in an untreated room, because you can get dead spots. With something like this, maybe try some metering tools so you can see if any phasing is happening. Tools that let you see what's going on are great because you can adapt for what you can't hear.

    Listening to them on the system, I didn't notice anything out of place, but I'm not really sure what you are looking for.

    I only listed to the new mp3 you did.

  13. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Belguium
    Posts
    79
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Synapsis View Post
    flat frequwncy headphones monitor subs the best, if you don't have speakers that can reproduce it... multiband compression can pull down the higher note frequencies, and leave the deeo low end, so you can sit it better in the mix, parallel compression could also assist u
    I'm using sennheiser HD600's. Not sure if they fall under that category But it does sound better on my headphones than on my speakers. I'll have a look into multiband/parallel compression. Haven't used that technique yet so i've got some learning to do

  14. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Belguium
    Posts
    79
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LucidLife View Post
    I agree with with many others have said here. I listened to this on an augspurger system. Try some saturation. Sub frequencies are a tough thing to deal with in an untreated room, because you can get dead spots. With something like this, maybe try some metering tools so you can see if any phasing is happening. Tools that let you see what's going on are great because you can adapt for what you can't hear.

    Listening to them on the system, I didn't notice anything out of place, but I'm not really sure what you are looking for.

    I only listed to the new mp3 you did.
    Hey man thanks for the reply,

    I'm working in FL studio and i'm not sure if there's any decent metering tools in there. Are there any you could advice ? I still got a lot to learn about things like phasing. I wouldn't know how to see on a meter if phasing is going on or not. Gonna have to learn some more about that i guess ! I'll try and mess around a bit with saturation as many people have mentioned it ^^

    But i'm glad it sounds decent enough on your system. Just looking for that subb to come through well enough as it's one if the main things that drives the track.
    Last edited by Jef Ferson; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:38 AM. Reason: m

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •