Need microphone pros!!!!!

Jesse Langford

Hello,

I record rap vocals... and in the future want to make a mixtape. I currently have the blue spark, but I have a very high voice with lots of sibilance... So I'm willing to invest in another microphone. I record in an untreated room and am thinking about getting the sm7b with a cloudlifter, would this be a good combo for someone of a higher, more sibilance plagued voice for rap vocals? Or would it just not fit the microphone.

Self mixed song ( DONT WORRY, I will pay to have this engineered, this is just my practice soundcloud): https://soundcloud.com/jesse-langford-2/unorthodox

I'm the first guy... I just did some homemade eq and compression, will the shure sm7b be an ok match for my voice? Or is a condenser the way to go? If so what's a good condenser on the darker side for someone of a higher voice?

You might want (don't actually know what you're using?) a better preamp (than even the cloudlifter) to get the best out of an SM-7b but to be honest you'd be better served by treating your room.

The biggest difference will be to treat the room. Or just make a blanket cave (behind you; not behind the mic!). I have mixed oh, let's see... a thousand records everything from major label to the kid down the street and I can honestly say the mic is not the biggest variables in a quality vocal recording.

On the bright side, my recommendation is a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a new mic.

Wouldn't the sm7b remove a good amount of the room?

Not much. It's a poor substitute. And an SM7b would certainly not be on my short list for a vocal mic for most situations including rap. It also requires a ridiculous amount of gain so unless you have a really good preamp with tons of clean gain, you aren't going to get the most out of it. Stop trying to fix an acoustics problem with more gear. That's like saying "my peanut butter and jelly soundwich doesn't taste very good - I think I need a new knife!"

Ok, I will look into acoustically treating my room to the best of my ability, but what about my blue spark? I feel that picks up way too much high end and sibilance in my voice? I think i need a darker, smoother microphone.

Back