Need Help Understanding Logic Pro 9's Mixer Layout Display

dannydawiz

Hello everyone!

I'm having trouble understanding what a certain display means in logic. It has something to do with volume I'm assuming but I don't know exactly what considering that the number changes through the track.

Can someone please tell me what this display means?

Here's the image.

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 PM ----------

I'm talking about the numbers on top of the volume sliders. Look for the computer mouse and its pointing right at it.

---------- Post added at 04:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

Heres another photo for clarification.

https://imageshack.us/a/img195/8033/1kmb.jpg

The orange number displays the highest output (peak) in volume while you play the track. So in the picture, the loudest the track gets is -10db.

Thanks for answering my question David!

If you wouldn't mind going a little more in depth, I have another question after reading your last post.

Is there any general volume range that I want to keep the loudest track at?

Right now I just noticed that my loudest track is peaking in negative decibels. Is this bad in terms of what I should be aiming while mixing and does this affect the mastering in a negative way?

You just want everything below 0. With a digital signal, it won't matter beyond that. i've heard people aim for every number in the book. Most are gonna say somewhere between -6 and -18. But even if it's -0.1 you're fine.

Back