need help mixing layered synths

Chris Torio

What's going on everybody, I really need help mixing layered synths. Whenever I try to put one synth on top of another it always comes out really horrible maybe the sounds I always try to layer don't work well together? But it will be a big help if someone can give me pointers or even make a tutorial on this like how to EQ them to work together and all that good stuff lol

Thank you

Chris, can you share an example? Or at least describe what you mean by horrible?

If combining two synths that otherwise sound okay creates issues, it could be from heavily clipping the outputs, or heavily slamming into a limiter, or just a frequency response imbalance that can be cleared up by EQ. All easily solvable, but all with very different solutions. Help us better understand the problem.

One thing people often overlook is a possible phasing issue (especially when layering low end synths). Most DAWs come with a utility plugin that allows you to flip the phase of one of the tracks. The videos above will be helpful, but for me that "phase flip" is usually the first place I start if I have layers that don't want to play nice with each other.

Here's four excellent video tutorials (highly suggest getting an ADSR subscriptions, if not, try their free seven day trial - although there's a good amount free on YT)

Beats4Beets: FL Studio: Creating and Layering Synths/Leads (Sound design, Chords, Melody, etc)

ADSR: Sylenth tutorial - Layering Two Electro Leads

ADSR: Sylenth tutorial - Layering Pre Drop Leads in EDM

SeamlessR - How to Synth: Layering

Here is a 5th one... I talk mostly about general mixing but I also cover layering!

If the sounds you picked don't work together... there is nothing a mix can do for you.

Mixing is just balancing.

If there is not enough room for both synths it simply won't work.

You can mess with the EQ and maybe find room.. but try to just pick sounds that work right away!

That will make your life easier

---
EyeAm.
The Masked Man.
EyeAm. The Masked Man. [Producer / Engineer] – Self Growth

lol that is dificult... finding two sounds that overlap so little in frequencies specially ones generated by synths is close to impossible if you want it to sound good! Guess EQ is your best option

hi pass everything, then start adjusting from high to low......find a good balance........try using synths with different sine waves instead of the same

Back