Need help on mix!

aldwayne

I am a noob on the forum. I have finished a song but am having a problem getting the song to a radio ready sound before mastering. I have even tried sending to online mixers and theirs didn't seem as good as what I have attached. Theirs had more muddiness. As a club song I want to maintain the bass feel but even though I am good with headroom, I cannot bring up the volume without distortion. Is there something wrong with the song itself, maybe. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. If anyone knows of a good mixer please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• This Sound.mp3
    6.8 MB · Views: 20
Yes. I did subtractive EQ and adjusted everything to what I thought was good sound. Panned out and made sure everything didnt sit in same freq ranges.

Tried that with some luck..that got me this far...looking to get some personal expertise on forum that will point me in right direction or a direction of a good mixer. Thanks though.

So I am a complete novice and newb to music making but I put your track into Logic Pro X and played around with some settings to make it louder without distorting it, heres some pics and stuff of what I did so you can play around with, I think it sounds better.
Open a new blank project in Logic and

1.) EQ: Click the (i) button on top left. (the "i" with a circle around it) and then you will have the option to add effects. Click EQ and try these settings, just move the dots so you get a map that looks like mine.Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 11.09.11 PM.png

2.) Compression: Somewhere under EQ it will say Audio FX, click it and go to Dynamics then Compressor. A compressor will pop up and you can play around with the different presets by moving the arrows back and fourth till you find something you like.

3.) Under Audio FX again, go to Dynamics then to Limiter and select it. A limiter will pop up and play with those effects by using the arrows.

4.) Bounce the project or section to Mp3 or wave and see how it sounds, sounds louder to me and not distorted with more bass.

Thats pretty much what I did hope It helped!

Thank you for responding. I appreciate the help. Iwill try the EQ settings and respond back with my findings. Did you happen to hear muddiness or that it was too bassy?

Yeah I think the track itself is very muddy and could use some proper mixing, but for that someone would have to take each part of the track like the vocals, each instrument and apply EQ/Compression etc...to fix it.
Heres what i did to the track if it helps, I know it sounds really bassy but thats what my ears liked playing around with it in Logic. View attachment This Sound 1.mp3

Overall though I feel the vocal does not stand out and could be more brighter and pronounced. Around a minute into the song, theres a double clap that ends with a hiss/staticky sound which I think comes from the reverb/delay effect you are using on the clap so maybe I would change that effect to something else. I know cuz I have Logic Pro X which doesnt have really good Reverb/Delay effects as other programs unless you really know how to use the program.

The main problem with this is the extremely subby bass - it's peaking far above everything else, yet it's so low (the fundamental seems to be around 30Hz) that it's barely audible (with decent headphones) - but that's what'll eat up your headroom trying to bring up the overall levels.

Thanks, Evan and krushing. Great advice. I will go back to drawing board and see if I can correct...if not...Does anyone know of a good mix engineer they can point me to?

You can try soundbetter.com and maybe find someone there? By google searching mixing and mastering services online, theres a bunch of terrible fraud sites claiming to be the best, and #1, but are total rip offs and do a terrible job. Would also love to know about good mixing services myself.

Back