Need Feedback on a mix. Please help me

S2theD

Hey. I've been working on this beat for a few days and one thing that's always got me lost was the mixing and mastering part. I know a little bit what I'm doing but I've never taken any classes or anything so all I know is what I've done. but I'm having a hard time with this one, one problem I have is that ill often put a lot of different sounds in a beat and when I start working on the EQ it ends up sounding like there's too much commotion going on.
Can someone please check out this beat and tell me what I can do to make it sound better or if it sounds good like this any feedback.
Thank you for your time

o and by the way I'm using FL studio 12 and its all strictly software. and I'm using headphones because I don't have any monitors.

Mystic by Deezy Beats | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Last edited:
I think the kick is to much equed.
I doesnt have that punch. The snare is ok.
I think the hats are ok too. I can here the sample.
The bongos sounding ok. Maye do a more stereo mix.
Pan instruments on left and right to get a fuller mix.
I know they are expensive but get some studio monitors.
It helps alot. And its music: There is no perfect mix.
Try and error. Find out what bangs.

The right leveling is the key. Without this your mix will struggle most of the time and that's something you will learn and master over the years. Panning is also very important part try to experimenting with the L/R knob and you will notice drastic improvement in your mix. Don't put to much plugin on master channel stick with the EQ, imager and limiter. Keep practicing!!!

Like G-town Beats said, the kick is too much compressed.
There is not much bass and punchiness going on.
I like melody and the rhytm, it's just the low spectrum.
Also you might try to add some changes in the future so the beat will sound more 'alive'.
Hope that helps!

I agree with the kick being way too compressed, it sounds dull and "Boxy" in my opinion. Also, there seems to be a lack of bass, and also high end instruments. Sample sounds dope tho.

thanks everyone for the feedback I really appreciate it. I did make some adjustments to the bass drums and the kicks and a few other things. I also tweaked the stereo panning a lil bit so thanks very much for the advice.

Just going by a quick listen, you using a headphone exclusively to mix might be the problem. The way it sounds (lack of focus in the low range)
reminds me of what I got when I tried that ;)

Definitely look at getting some half-decent speakers. You'll eventually want monitors, but using headphones and speakers in tandem is good stopgap until then.
The headphone is good for getting the detail work right, but you really need the speakers to get your basic dynamics (kick, bass, snare) and groove correct.
They don't have to be awesome speakers, as long as they're relatively flat sounding and powerful.

Back