Need Advice

DoubleA$tacks

Double A $tacks
Ive been Producing for about a year now, and im thinking about investing in some monitor speakers as in(krks, m-audio) but i wanna know what does monitor speakers have thats so special compared to a regular powered speaker system as(cyber acoustics 3 piece set. which i have). plz explain it to me because ive made some beats that sound good on regular speakers and car systems, but on monitors its not the same

Theoretically speaking... monitor manufacturers build them with one thing in mind - to be as close to flat as possible...the flatter, the better (pretty much). "Flatness" = running a "noise" signal through a speaker and all the different freqs have near equal volume (none are perfect). Regular speakers are built for all kinds of things from being louder to keying in on a certain frequency range. For making music...get monitors!

Last edited:
Pretty much as stated above. Studio monitors are made with a flat frequency response in mind. Other speakers are made to just sound good.

Great explanation from dacalion.

I would just like to add that when you are in the market for monitors, I would shy away from KRK Rokits (you mentioned KRK's). The low end is very colored, so you will be right back to where you are now. Making music on a system that is not giving you a true flat response and therefore will not translate well on various listening systems.

On top of a flat frequency response studio monitors are designed to give you the 'truth'. A good set of monitor should highlight any production flaws so that you can fixed them before the track is release commercially. They are designed to deal with the large transients of raw recordings, especially drums. Hi-Fi speakers (event the most expensive) are designed to playback a 'finished' mix, therefore the transients will have been controlled during production and won't destroy your speakers.

I destroyed a pair of technics hi-fi speakers when I first started producing, so I would recommend getting some monitors (and acoustic treatment)

Definitely invest in some acoustic treatment before you go all out and grab some fantastic monitors. The difference is absolutely crazy. I made the mistake of buying some Behringer Truth B2031A (Active) monitors because I was impatient and couldn't wait to save up and extra $200-300... My honest opinion, get some acoustic treatment, get some passive monitors (ones that are NOT powered or self amplified) and a reference amplifier. The difference in your final product is quite substantial.

Definitely invest in some acoustic treatment before you go all out and grab some fantastic monitors. The difference is absolutely crazy. I made the mistake of buying some Behringer Truth B2031A (Active) monitors because I was impatient and couldn't wait to save up and extra $200-300... My honest opinion, get some acoustic treatment, get some passive monitors (ones that are NOT powered or self amplified) and a reference amplifier. The difference in your final product is quite substantial.

I would have to disagree.

Acoustical treatment will do NOTHING to help a signal from a pair of speakers not designed for a flat response.

If one is interested enough in their sound quality, one will make the decision to purchase both the monitors and acoustical treatment simultaneously, or as close together as possible.

Peace.

thanks for the info

I would have to disagree.

Acoustical treatment will do NOTHING to help a signal from a pair of speakers not designed for a flat response.

If one is interested enough in their sound quality, one will make the decision to purchase both the monitors and acoustical treatment simultaneously, or as close together as possible.

Peace.

Who mentioned anything about speakers not designed for a flat response... Obviously we're talking about studio monitors (i.e. speakers designed for a flat response) and not Hi-Fi and home theatre speakers... it irks me when people are so dismissive without comprehending what was actually said...

The KRK Rokits also cut off the really low sub bass. So if you DO get those, you should also get the sub woofer with them; otherwise, you'll be clueless as to what's going on at the very bottom end.

I recommend you to grab to of your favorite cd's that you love the production-sound-mix and go to some audio shops to check as many monitors as you can.I think thats the better way to decide also if u have any more experienced friend tak him with you.Feel free to ask anything else by pm!

Back