my mixdowns with headphones :(

D

dylanf

hey guys, i finally decided to buy some studio monitors all because of my shit mixdowns :(
I ususally mix with my audio technica m50-x ,however the final mixdown sounds pretty good with em and iam satisfied
but when i switch to my bose home speakers or othe phone speakers the tracks sound so unsatisfactory which is not the same with the headphones
any opinions and advice please ?

and here is the track i mixed. https://soundcloud.com/dylanfambeck/dylan-fambeck-charge-original-mix

m50 isnt flat response and has a lot of low end and boosted treble.
Bose is not gonna sound as good as headphones in m50 pricerange.

Just learn your headphones and speakers.

I find trial and error, your headphones are going to be different to any speakers, I use my car speakers as they are good for a all round picture of the beat, from low to highs I can pick out the flaws easy. and I go back and forth for a while until im happy with how it sounds on both ends. ive got dt990 pro beyerdynamics and they have a very different sound to any speakers I play on so theres a lot of back and forth going which is very time consuming but until I get some good monitors its all ive got. now ive gone on for ages my message is trial and error. play it on different speakers and headphones until your happy with the sound you get

i bought some 250-300 dollars headphones and was mixing with them for a while only to find out they were not as accurate as i thought they were. i found out they were great headphones for tracking and recording but not that good for mixing. my uncle came over with some 60 dollar headphones that were way more accurate than mine. all this time i was having trouble mixing because of my headphones. so if you do buy some make sure they are good for mixing just a fyi

I have Adam A7Xs then bought M50 headphones and the translation was ****ing horrible. Since then ive just been listening to everything on my m50s constantly.. Looking like a dumbass going for runs with these big headphones on, but what people dont know is I'm just analyzing music haha. Haven't really taken the things off in 6 months, although I look like a walking DJ stereotype; I know those things like the back of hand now.

Translation is a bit better now for me, the trick with the Audio technica cans is to be consciously aware that you're bass should sound small and tight and just a small ball at the 'middle' of your head. And your highs should be a little louder than you think they should be, those cans bring out tons of little details in the highs that are gone with you switch systems. (again I'm describing this based on experience so you might not understand until you listen for a few days and get used to it)

there does seem to be lot of mid energy and a lack of bass and really high freqs (the so called air region) - this is to be expected as the ath-m50x's have a "skewed" freq response that emphasises the bottom end, is almost neutral in the mids from 200Hz-3kHz and then has some funky stuff in low highs and upper highs.

Your mix actually reflects this frequency response almost perfectly - your bass and tops are undercooked and your mids are overcooked i.e.

several ways you can adjust your mix to reflect the frequency response of the headphones

- adjust mids down rather than up - best solution as it addresses the core problem directly
- adjust low end and top end upwards - a poorer solution as you are only going to exacerbate any issues that already exist in the mid/low/high balance if not done subtly
- other options exist but would likely create more issues than they solve so I will not discuss them here

do not do the above by simply applying a master buss eq with the smiley face - the problems are in every instrument, yes, but you need to address the balance between each instrument in these frequency areas

Last edited:
wow , thanks alot dude, and thanks to evryone else for making it clear!

I mix with the AT-m50s and my mixes translate well...they seem pretty flat to me and I use 3 sources to test my mixes: car system (12s), ear buds and monitors (hs8 with the hs10 sub)

Back