my headphones vs monitors?

which are more accurate

• headphones

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • monitors

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

know_ledge

i have a pair of Beyerdynamic TT 770 PRO 80 OHMS headphones and a pair of behringers truth b2030a speakers. i use both when mixing music. but the perception of course are different on both. which do you feel in your opinion would be the most accurate when mixing? please vote and comment if you may.

heres the info.

headphones: [url]Amazon.com: Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 80 ohms: Electronicshttps://www.futureproducers.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode#url[/URL]

speakers: [url]Amazon.com: BEHRINGER TRUTH B2030A: Musical Instrumentshttps://www.futureproducers.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode#url[/URL]

Last edited:
Imo speakers sound better in terms of space. Headphones sound great but eh, prefer speakers.
value of course headphones win.

You should use both and try to find a correct balance between them for a better outcome. You should also incorporate the use of standard headphone/speakers to test the quality of your mix, because your general audience do no have studio equipment as you do to listen to music recreationally.

I don't think you necessarily want just one or the other. You want both to reference and achieve the best stereo field and sonic experience in terms of EQ and dynamics. Some people will listen back in headphones, good and bad ones. Some will be in their car, some will be audiophiles with amazing equipment and acoustically treated listening rooms. The best way to achieve the best mix across all of these platforms is to reference both flat response headphones and monitors. Heck, I still throw mp3's on my iPhone and run out to the car with it. I also close my door and go out into the hallway and see how it performs that way too. Keep referencing your favorite mixed albums too, and copy them best you can.

There is no opinion involved with this. Your monitors will always be better for mixing than your headphones will be simply because your headphones are not giving you the absolute Truth of what you are listening to:)) The distance between the sound source and your ears while mixing is of the utmost importance in regards to accuracy. I cannot really go into the science of it without taking up an entire page but please take my word for it, leave the task of mixing to be done on monitors as these tools are intended for the task for a reason.

It's ok to do some short reference checks on headphones but leave it at that.

Everybody would say that mixing on speakers will give you better perception of sound and better mixes. It is a common knowledge and i am not saying that i don't agree but i use headphones more. At first it was because of the circumstances, but i got used to it later on. I go back and forth while listening to my mixes but i am used to making music with headphones more.

If you are forced to use headphones most of the time, there are some plugins that can simulate studio speakers sound, that can help you with mixing. Just google 112db Redline Monitor, i find it useful. Beyerdynamic got this Visual Studio tool that allows you to hear how would your mix sound in different surroundings, it can be downloaded from their website: Virtual Studio

I agree with sswmastering.

Monitors will always be better for mixing - although you need to set them up correctly, and treating your room is of high importance.

Headphones are great for referencing, but you're making your life harder by mixing mainly on headphones. Personally I feel that multiple sets of monitors is a more important referencing tool than a pair of headphones.

Having said that the Beyer DT 770 Pros are a reasonable set of headphones (not amazing, but good), and you've spent a similar amount of money on your speakers. Think about that...

My advice would be to save some money and get a decent set of monitors and a bit of room treatment, you'll probably laugh at your original question!

You should use both and try to find a correct balance between them for a better outcome. You should also incorporate the use of standard headphone/speakers to test the quality of your mix, because your general audience do no have studio equipment as you do to listen to music recreationally.

I agree completely!

I want to say do all of the mixing on the 770s since those are very accurate ones, but I mixed exclusively on those headphones for about a year and there was always one or two things popping out of the mix.

So I'd mainly mix on those (especially the low end), but do the panning and stereo image on your monitors, then make sure to check the mix on your typical consumer device.

Adjust your mix until it sounds good on all three devices and you'll be set!

Last edited:
It would be good idea to use both, being that they both will sound different, but that would give you a more accurate representation of how your mix will sound to other people who use different speakers. Me personally I use cheap headphones, Beats, Bx5 monitors, a blue tooth speaker, and my friends cars if it comes down too it. The more different the environment the different the sound and all those will only make your mixes sound that much better on each device.

Back