Is my audio interface affecting my end mix?

ZOMi

When I was producing with my Lexicon Omega audio interface, the end results of my mix were loud, crisp and clear, and ever since I purchased an apollo twin, my tracks have been lacking a good sound and are no where near as loud as before. I don't think I'm doing anything differently, but my question is, can an audio interface have anything to do with the end mix not sounding good? I'm really confused and don't know what to do after spending 900 dollars on this interface.

No. You are, of course, listening through its converters (which are probably a magnitude better than those of the Omega's), and thus basing your mixing decisions on what you're hearing, but the interface does not affect the actual files or rendering in any way. Recording external sources through it is another thing though.

I've used a number of interfaces and by far the XXL Mr. Brown was the one that coloured the sound the most (especially when recording)

It lacks in the high register and distorts the low end.. other than that it's a nifty piece of gear for small gigs where sound quality isn't an issue.

If you have an integrated sound card you could A/B with that but I highly doubt it matches either of the interfaces you mentioned.

EDIT : fixed

Last edited:
Back