Music Producer Becoming Audio Engineer?

Producer300

Hi, i just wanted to know if its hard for a music producer to become an audio engineer too or its kinda a little bit the same thing. Im thinking of starting to record artist and mix their tracks using Pro Tool.

it is only as hard as you make it for yourself, seriously

if you are prepared to put in the hours of work needed to learn and master the skills to be an engineer as well as a beatsmith (people who make beats are not producers) then go for it

Hi, i just wanted to know if its hard for a music producer to become an audio engineer too or its kinda a little bit the same thing. Im thinking of starting to record artist and mix their tracks using Pro Tool.

Being a music producer AND an audio/mixing engineer gives you more freedom and you'll be sure that you're going to get exactly
what you're looking for (audio speaking).

If you know how to compose songs and you don't know how to mix/master them then
you must find a mixing engineer that will have the same influence and ideas as you so you'll
be able to communicate easier and get the (almost) same results.

For example, composers like Hans Zimmer using vst libraries have to learn 1 or 2 mixing tricks.

It would be really hard to sync your brain to work with fixing the audio and not to add/change nots but in the end... Will be well worth it!

most music producers work together with an engineer.. i mean it's 2 seperate arts. if you're recording someone doesn't make you a music producer. music producer is a whole other animal in itself. there are artists, beatmakers, engineers.... and there are music producers.
anyhow, you can learn to engineer, there is no reason not to be able to with the internet nowadays. don't expect this to happen fast at all... your ear will need training and it will take years upon years. if you're a music producer you will also need to know engineering basics to communicate/get the vision to your engineer properly.

most music producers work together with an engineer.. i mean it's 2 seperate arts. if you're recording someone doesn't make you a music producer. music producer is a whole other animal in itself. there are artists, beatmakers, engineers.... and there are music producers.
anyhow, you can learn to engineer, there is no reason not to be able to with the internet nowadays. don't expect this to happen fast at all... your ear will need training and it will take years upon years. if you're a music producer you will also need to know engineering basics to communicate/get the vision to your engineer properly.

Exactly. But we live in a world that (almost) everything can be done with a computer.

If he loves audio engineering apart from music composition then it would be wise to practice.

But as you said... It won't be easy, but really worth well in the end!

I know plenty of solo producer / engineers. In the end, that's really how everyone gets started. But if you specifically want to engineer, then I suggest you do some research, study, and try to get an internship at a local recording studio. The more experience you have, the easier it'll be to get an official job in that field.

i mean, being a music producer is bad ass... but u gotta have that ear to know what people will like and you will have to have that ear for industry standard quality/sound/bang. you will have to have some knowledge of all around music related stuff of course, ie mixing, recording, keys etc... producers tie big records together. producers create albums as opposed to random songs. a lot of artists have no filters, or can be too artistic at times, kind of out the box etc, a music producers job is filtering out exactly what the people wanna hear because an artists creativity can fire at the speed of light. a piano player might be jamming for 30min straight, different lines upon different lines, the producer will stand next to him and when those keys hits that will make the song better/stand out he will be like 'that's it.' they might send parts of the beat back for different lines or instruments in it. they might have you change the chorus or rearrange the track. they might like 4 bars of your 16 bar verse and tell you to base the whole song on that specific delivery you had during the first 4 bars. they might have another person redo the hook or the verse(s).....the producer is like the conductor, it's a long journey, something you really gotta earn

Back