Multiple monitors

DJ Scarleggz

Hey what's up everybody, i am wondering about something: A lot of mixing engineers switch monitors during the mixing process. Now i want to do this too, i got 2 sets of monitors, but my audio interface only has 2 line out's.. Right now 1 is used for the left and 1 for the right from 1 set of monitors. I was wondering if there is any way/device to divide the signal so there are 4 line out's? And if it's possible, will it bring down the quality of the sound? (because of dividing the signal?)

How do you guys do it? I can't figure it out..

There are monitor controllers for this exact purpose. Dividing a signal won't degrade it, it's just essentially duplicated.

Last edited:
There are monitor controllers for this exact purpose. Dividing a signal won't degrade it, it's just essentially duplicated.

Thank you very much, exactly what i need. Although i hoped for a simpler/cheaper solution, i found the Behringer Xenyx Control1U is quite affordable.. But this leaves me with another question: can i still use my current soundcard/interface with this? Or do you have to use the one built inside of the controller..?

If going the cheap rout, I would just get a switcher. Cheap monitor controllers can screw with the sound to varying degrees. But cheap switchers that are clean are pretty easy because there's not much to them.

The Control1U is basically a knockoff of Mackie's famous (if a monitor controller can be famous) Big Knob (which probably can be had for relatively cheap 2nd hand). It's suspiciously cheap, but I guess it works - it includes an USB interface as well, but I guess you can just take the outputs of your existing interface to its monitor inputs. Some people have said that it colors the sound - but it's hard to say without hearing it if it's a high-end thing (meaning that us normal folk in our home studios are never going to notice anything) or an actual issue. If you want to avoid the whole "coloring the sound" discussion, look into passive monitor controllers - active ones like this basically have to process the signal somehow, whether it's actually audible or not.

Actually, it's a little bit of a myth that passive controllers don't color sound. They can color the sound FAR more than active controllers. Why? Because passive controllers are completely dependent upon the impedance of the connected devices. This is why one person will say a certain passive controller is absolutely transparent while the next will say it colored the sound almost like an EQ. And depending on how good the design is, they color the sound more or less depending on where the volume control is sitting. To be clear, I'm not saying passive controllers are bad. It's just that coloration, or lack thereof, is highly dependent upon what is going into it and what it's going out to. Both passive and active controllers process the sound, it's just which method they use to do it. I will say this though: you can make a quality passive controller for less money than a quality active one - but again, you've got the impedance issues to navigate and they can bite you in the butt.

This is why I suggested a switcher. Making a transparent controller is a lot harder than it initially seems. And the OP doesn't really have an issue with setting volume, or any of the other functions a controller can do (input switching, mono, L/R cut, phase, etc. etc. etc.). They just need to switch between two sets of speakers. Hell, you can pretty much go to radio shack and buy a toggle switch, four TRS jacks and a tiny bit of wire and build one that will be 100% transparent for $15 (maybe less!)

Thanks for the in-depth answers! But now what.. äctive-passive? controller/switch? For as far as i can see whichever one i choose, i'll always pay at least 100,- for it, since i don't trust myself building something like this with good quality... The controllers aren't that hard to find, but as chris said; i don't need extra features, just a switch between 2 sets of monitors. So just a simple switcher would be enough, but i'm having a hard time finding these.. Is there anything you can recommend? By the way, i don't know anything about impedance values and stuff, all i know is i got a tascam us122 mkii and a set of genelec 8020a's...

That's a neat little thing, reviews are good, does what i need it to do, i think i'll give it a try. Thank you both for all the help!

Back