Is this to much HP on the bass ?

BeatsByD

I was searching through some Reddit posts and i found this one interesting:

here are my opinions on my current eq'ing procedure in my own bass heavy music:
cut your kick at 40hz high pass. you don't want anything lower than that, most speakers won't even pick it up unless it's like a club. then open up a live eq that shows where your sound is looking like in the spectrum, in a visual fashion. take note of the low end, your earlier highpass should have been a hard cut, boost the Q so you boost all the freqs around but not below where you cut. cut out some at around 200-250 to get rid of muddiness that might accrue, and boost the highs some -- for your click to be more present, or transients, w/e.
go to your bass, highpass it around 100-150hz, another hard cut. you can go softer if you want. Boost that region by increasing the Q. Nice low freq's , yumm.
also , from now on, start getting into the habit of highpassing EVERY single element in your tracks, (seriously, every single drum sample, audio sample, synth, pad, etc...) at around 100-250hz depending on where your bass/kick sit. You need to do this because otherwise each one of those elements will bleed just a little bit of low end into your mix where you don't want it. individually not that impressive, but collectively it can begin to manifest tangibly. best nip it in the bud.
essentially, you need to start staying conscious of your elements and where they're intended to sit in the mix. You gotta kind of think of it as tetris. in this fashion, your kick would sit real low, like 40-90, your bass will sit on top of that at like 100/150+ . The two will accentuate eachother, and everytime the kick hits you'll really feel the thump. the hard part is the middle regions, because the character of each element is really there, and you can't overlap too much in any region.
you just gotta keep trying and gain experience

I just feel like HP the bass around 100/150 is way too much.

Is anybody else doing this? I tried it on a sub bass i have and it kinda killed the character of the bass.

The sub bass is going to be the super low frequencies and u definitely shouldn't high pass that around 100-150.

If you have a grand piano or something of that nature taking the role of bass​ by playing low notes then you can definitely HP it around there, but again sub bass is going to be sub bass frequencies meaning u probably shouldn't cut those out.

Hope that makes sense!

cut your kick at 40hz high pass. you don't want anything lower than that, most speakers won't even pick it up unless it's like a club. then open up a live eq that shows where your sound is looking like in the spectrum, in a visual fashion. take note of the low end, your earlier highpass should have been a hard cut, boost the Q so you boost all the freqs around but not below where you cut. cut out some at around 200-250 to get rid of muddiness that might accrue, and boost the highs some -- for your click to be more present, or transients, w/e.
go to your bass, highpass it around 100-150hz, another hard cut. you can go softer if you want. Boost that region by increasing the Q. Nice low freq's , yumm.
also , from now on, start getting into the habit of highpassing EVERY single element in your tracks, (seriously, every single drum sample, audio sample, synth, pad, etc...) at around 100-250hz depending on where your bass/kick sit. You need to do this because otherwise each one of those elements will bleed just a little bit of low end into your mix where you don't want it. individually not that impressive, but collectively it can begin to manifest tangibly. best nip it in the bud.
essentially, you need to start staying conscious of your elements and where they're intended to sit in the mix. You gotta kind of think of it as tetris. in this fashion, your kick would sit real low, like 40-90, your bass will sit on top of that at like 100/150+ . The two will accentuate eachother, and everytime the kick hits you'll really feel the thump. the hard part is the middle regions, because the character of each element is really there, and you can't overlap too much in any region.

Is anybody else doing this? I tried it on a sub bass i have and it kinda killed the character of the bass.

so, yeah, bass freqs are going to go down as low as 27.5Hz depending on genre and sources - to hpf at 100 actually takes out the bottom string of a guitar, with bass guitar a whole octave lower at least if not 2 octaves lower (more or less)

the big thing for me in all of this discussion is that without audio the advice offered is meaningless and more likely to lead to problems for unthinking regurgitators/replicators than cleaning up any misunderstandings for thinking mixers.

PS unless you have an actual bass line and have added a sub-octave bass part to it then your bass line is actually just bass - the portmanteau sub-bass is meant to stand for that action only, adding a bass line one octave lower (the word fragment "sub" means under)

Last edited:
Depends on what sound you are going for. However, I lowcut my bass group channel at 50Hz nearly everytime. This takes out the rumble but leaves the "chesty" vibration that we love so much. Hope this helps.

I think you definitely shouldn't hi-pass your sub at 100Hz. Personally I use to lowpass it around 100Hz in order to avoir the sub bass to mix with my other "Low Bass" that I cut between 100Hz-200/300Hz depending on the song and I take care of the lowcut only on my Bass Bus (not on my sub). I don't know if this a good technic but it works quite good for me!

I spent a lot of time trying to make a good bass and I'm still working on! However, I've figured out that building a bass with around 3 layers (Sub/Medium-Low/'Crunchy' Layer) allow you to create strong and powerfull fondations for your track. After this you can go to your Bass bus, lower the frequencies were the Low Kick is playing, low cut about 30-50Hz if you find there are to many super low frequencies and fade everything in order to have a pumpy Kick/Baseline. I think with good headphones you hear pretty easily the low frequencies that are creating a mess!

I'm new on this forum so I don't know if this post will help or not but yet you have my opinion :)

Thanks for the answers.

What about other type of bases? I guess not all basses are refered to as sub bass.

Thanks for the answers.

What about other type of bases? I guess not all basses are refered to as sub bass.
Almost all basses are going to have some sub frequencies in them. A actual bass guitar will still have a lot of content below 100Hz, so I wouldn't highpass any bass unless you're deliberately layering your own sub underneath to keep it consistent.

Assuming your not using your ears for that, I would cut kick up to 30hz and cutting 100-150hz in bass is way too much, I'll go maximum up to 60, and maybe shelving up to 150 , but it REALY depend on your bass and kick sounds of course

Thanks for the answers.

no, as mentioned above, the term sub-bass is used to describe an actual layering technique not a frequency range.

Bass is pretty much anything that is below 175Hz (the highest cross-over freq I have seen for some of those 18" loaded boxes called subs in various brands) though some would argue that it is everything below 262Hz (middle c)

Last edited:
Okay. I understand.

But what i dont understand is how it worked for him then.

Maybe he uses a big kick with lots of low end to it.

I would imagine if youre using some of Traumah Beats drums for example you would have to hp your bass in a pretty high freq because his drums have so much low end

you need to make the distinction between bass frequencies and bass sounds

- a bass sound has more than just the fundamental frequency unless it is a sine wave based 808 type sound
- as such we can hear freqs well into the 8kHz range that are part of a bass sound
- how you eq and process the entire freq range is what makes the bass work in the context of a mix

Okay. I understand.

But what i dont understand is how it worked for him then.

Maybe he uses a big kick with lots of low end to it.

I would imagine if you're using some of Traumah Beats drums for example you would have to hp your bass in a pretty high freq because his drums have so much low end
Maybe he's a techno producer. If you're making a blawan type track there's not going to be a lot of room in the low end for bass because the kick is so big in the 100Hz and below range.

Either way, I wouldn't say it's very good general advice. It might work in whatever specific type of music this guy makes, but it definitely won't work very well for every circumstance. I've seen a few dnb producers say the exact opposite: cut the low frequencies out of your kick to make room for a sub.

P.S. are you the real Dr. Dre? :D

Last edited:
i haven't read all replies yet, but just wanted to contribute this idea: in order for a sound to have a "bass" quality, it does not necessarily need to be flooded with "bass," i.e. low-end frequencies. in fact, if your kick occupies much around 100 Hz, perhaps you should cut your bass there. below a certain point, it's more about being full than about hearing those freq's, so if a bass sounds "heavy" or cumbersome in a mix, taking out the low end weight can help it move more freely. the overtones are much more important than your fundamental, so cutting it out likely won't affect your sound much if done right.

so to sum up: bass notes don't have to have so much bass. just needs to sound like a bass.

edit: sorry bout the repeat info i threw out

Last edited:
Back