Mono/stereo problem

Whitefire

Hello. I have a problem with my sound and i just don't know how to fix it. I am running windows 8. In fl studio, whenever I pan ANYTHING, i can still hear the sound in both headphones, both earbuds, and both left and right speakers (i tested with all three). Same thing happens with any type of audio even out of my DAW. When I go into the sound settings on windows, and go into the "balance" where you can balance how much volume goes into the left and right speaker, I can only then, hear that it is either completely left, or completely right, and never both, when i turn one knob all the way down. But other than that, everything else always plays through both speakers. The reason i want to do COMPLETELY either only left or only right, is because in my songs, there are parts that i want to pan completely to the left, without having any volume in the right. Help? Please! Thanks!

Strange...
Are you sure you don't have any processing after the panning stage that may ruin the panning?

The only things I can think of are:
what the dude above me said

That somehow your monitors are connected to a mono output, so that they always give off the same sound.

Or MOST LIKELY:
You either have the Master track in fl studio "Summed to mono" (the knob on the mixer should be exactly at the half way point, facing up." Or you're trying to pan all your other tracks by using the stereo width knob.
The knob on the mixer is stereo width, not panning and that confusion would likely explain all your woes.

Or less likely: that your samples have a lot of stereo information and that you first need to "sum them to mono", and then pan them.

Last edited:
Back