This mono shit again. Are commmerical Tracks in Mono?

I wave candied my song in fl studio and its a huge, fucked up, far from perfect circle. I wave candied "travis scott - Ra Ra" and its a perfect straight up and down line. Can anyone explain?

Before you ask me these obvious questions here are the answers.

Yes my 808 is in mono
yes my kick is in mono.
No i dont have any stereo seperation past 0

Yes my song sounds shitty.
yes i tried to compress my kick

no i dont know what im doing, even after watching countless youtube videos and reading countless tips on the internet and pro mixing sites for 2 years, and counting after failing time and time again.

yes i use shitty fl studio to mix..

Oh and i no longer get angry about it because its become normal

and is it okay to release my shitty mixes until i get recognized and can afford the studio lol?

Shitty FL Studio? You make no sense. If you're music is shitty it's not your DAW it's you. you don't become one of the top three DAWs in existence by making shitty software. Anyway you don't need a studio. A DAW is all you will need. If you want your mixes to come out better then just keeping practicing and always mix in mono.

Shitty FL Studio? You make no sense. If you're music is shitty it's not your DAW it's you. you don't become one of the top three DAWs in existence by making shitty software. Anyway you don't need a studio. A DAW is all you will need. If you want your mixes to come out better then just keeping practicing and always mix in mono.

Your obviously a fruity looper.... haha :)

When i read "I use shitty fl studio to mix" sorry but it's not fl studio. It's you. When it comes to using a music program. It's all about the painter not the brush. It's all about you. Either learn the program or just switch until you can find one that's suitable for you

That's exactly the point I was making. At this stage in the game for a person to blame poor productions on what they use is childish and absent minded. If you're music sucks it's you. You can have the best software and hardware in the world and still end up with music that lacks luster.

If that's an insult you need to try harder because I heard your music and um... No. If this was 1995 they'd work but it's not so no.

It's not an insult.. just an educated guesstimate... I am correct on that am I not? your a fruity loops producer?

If that's an insult you need to try harder because I heard your music and um... No. If this was 1995 they'd work but it's not so no.

Alright guys, there's no need for personal insults but that line by acetheface prompted me to chime in.

There is music from 1995 that far supersedes most of the production that is happening in modern music...there was production going on in hiphop that was absurdly great. IMO, makes most of the current pseudo-hiphop productions sound like they let someone with a severe learning disability play with a beat machine. (Says a lot about society that the masses eat that shit up like these guys are actually talented)--but i digress.

There's dope stuff happening in some genres by select few talents, for sure though. Some really great sound design going on in some forms of electronic music by certain producers (Kill the Noise, for example).

There is music from 1960-1970 that simply destroys mostly anything that came after it, in comparison. Some of the raw funk, psychedelic rock, soul, and real rhythm and blues are simply pillars of excellence that will likely never be achieved again.

..sorry, I started ranting. Real human feelings here.

But anyway, most DAWs do all the same stuff and it comes down to personal taste. I still tease my brother for using fruity loops, but we all know they have made huge steps to be a major contender. It's been quite impressive to witness the evolution. There's a dude I know that makes some of the best stuff I've ever heard with fruity loops...and he's been using it before all these major changes/upgrades so...

Alright guys, there's no need for personal insults but that line by acetheface prompted me to chime in.

There is music from 1995 that far supersedes most of the production that is happening in modern music...there was production going on in hiphop that was absurdly great. IMO, makes most of the current pseudo-hiphop productions sound like they let someone with a severe learning disability play with a beat machine. (Says a lot about society that the masses eat that shit up like these guys are actually talented)--but i digress.

There's dope stuff happening in some genres by select few talents, for sure though. Some really great sound design going on in some forms of electronic music by certain producers (Kill the Noise, for example).

There is music from 1960-1970 that simply destroys mostly anything that came after it, in comparison. Some of the raw funk, psychedelic rock, soul, and real rhythm and blues are simply pillars of excellence that will likely never be achieved again.

..sorry, I started ranting. Real human feelings here.

But anyway, most DAWs do all the same stuff and it comes down to personal taste. I still tease my brother for using fruity loops, but we all know they have made huge steps to be a major contender. It's been quite impressive to witness the evolution. There's a dude I know that makes some of the best stuff I've ever heard with fruity loops...and he's been using it before all these major changes/upgrades so...

LoL I wasn't dissing the musical era of the 90s at all. Great music has no expiration date. I simply saying to him that his music sounded as if he was still experimenting with how to make trance which was made back in the 90s compared to modernized trance from say 2010 to now. Not saying his or theirs was bad. Just made am observation. Some people go put their way to keep things sounding as vintage as possible and that's great. To each his own I say.

LoL I wasn't dissing the musical era of the 90s at all. Great music has no expiration date. I simply saying to him that his music sounded as if he was still experimenting with how to make trance which was made back in the 90s compared to modernized trance from say 2010 to now. Not saying his or theirs was bad. Just made am observation. Some people go put their way to keep things sounding as vintage as possible and that's great. To each his own I say.

Right on man, I misinterpreted.

Last edited:
I think there's a kind of reflexive obsession with mono compatibility. It's largely the result of the current "tips" based internet content fad. There are probably a billion videos explaining that one thing you need to know to make perfect mixes.

Mono compatibility is important for:

1) Making vinyl records (though this has been disputed)
2) Targeting mono playback (which I believe clubs usually are)

I don't know why people interested in putting their music in clubs don't make specific mono mix for DJ's to use.

Anyway, in other situations you can deviate further from mono-compatibility because most listeners have stereo playback. If you play even a mono track through two speakers you get interference between the two signals that varies with listener position... so even a mono signal would lose mono compatibility with itself. So long as something major isn't cancelling itself out it's probably OK.

Besides more mono means less stereo. You can't have wide stereo image and mono compatibility. They're mutually exclusive.

PS stressing about what a visualiser looks like: Crazy.

I think there's a kind of reflexive obsession with mono compatibility. It's largely the result of the current "tips" based internet content fad. There are probably a billion videos explaining that one thing you need to know to make perfect mixes.

2) Targeting mono playback (which I believe clubs usually are)

I don't know why people interested in putting their music in clubs don't make specific mono mix for DJ's to use.

Anyway, in other situations you can deviate further from mono-compatibility because most listeners have stereo playback. If you play even a mono track through two speakers you get interference between the two signals that varies with listener position... so even a mono signal would lose mono compatibility with itself. So long as something major isn't cancelling itself out it's probably OK.

Besides more mono means less stereo. You can't have wide stereo image and mono compatibility. They're mutually exclusive.

PS stressing about what a visualiser looks like: Crazy.

Goodness. Here I thought everyone at least mixed in mono.

I don't think there's anything to dispute here - but vinyl is obviously stereo, usually - it's just the low end that needs to be mono'ed because the needle simply doesn't stay in the groove if there are wild stereo fx or panning going on down there. It's just physics.

I don't think there's anything to dispute here - but vinyl is obviously stereo, usually - it's just the low end that needs to be mono'ed because the needle simply doesn't stay in the groove if there are wild stereo fx or panning going on down there. It's just physics.

I only added that because I'm sure Andrew Schepps said he cut a record with bass out of phase.

I use Fl studio for everything. I don't know why people hate on it other than just looking kinda childish...but it still does everything just fine. I mean...

lol don't take my word for it. that's cool. ;)
but this is off topic.

Thanks for sharing the stereo / mono insight. I learned a lot!

Last edited:
Back