Monitors for Small Room (15x8)

M

M.E.T.H.O.D...MAN

My room is only 15x8 and I want to buy a pair of monitors as mixing using only headphones (ATH-M50's) has become incredibly annoying getting the levels right. My room is small, and because I live on the second floor, I have a triangular ceiling, with the top measuring 7 feet. I have a lot of furniture in this small space: an end-table, two dressers, a queen sized bed and my studio desk with my computer, maschine, interface, chair, carpet etc. I was told having a lot of things helps soundproof a small room to an extent. I plan on buying a few bass traps as well. I produce hip hop, and am willing to wait to pull the trigger on a good pair of monitors when I have the money. I was between the Yamaha HS-5 or the Equators. I wanted the 8inch speakers because I make a lot of sub heavy music, but somebody told me my room was too small for the 8 inch speakers and that I would be better with 5 inch speakers and a sub woofer. Any advice?
I just realized this should probably have been moved to the studio design section...

Last edited by a moderator:
In store I found the HS-5's to be lacking in bass extension. Severely. The KRK Rokit-5 G3's stomped them.

The HS-7's on the other hand were the best sounding monitors in budget. I bought them.

I don't know the equators but have seen recommendations for them on boards over the last few weeks.
JBL 305's get a lot of love too so might be worth checking them out if you can...

I have a room with very similar dimensions. I got the HS-7's

I don't know if 8 inch speakers are going to be that bad in a small room. I would however say buying a sub with those speakers is overkill, but I don't think it'd be a bad idea to get some 8 inches.

The HS-7's are great. What's not great is buying bass traps, and I'm assuming you're talking about auralex. As much of a pain in the ass as it is, I would do some research and build your own traps. Cheaper, far more effective.

Back