Monitors and my Mixing Environment [Help]

I’m not in the best mixing environment as of right now. I live in a one bedroom apartment and space is very limited. I have my monitors from windows, however they are very close to the walls.

I am having trouble getting the mix that I know I can obtain probably because of this very issue. So, can anyone give me advice what they would do if they were in my shoes? I am having a lot of trouble bringing out the low ends and making my mix sound full (I am mixing hip hip by the way). Using Rokit 5’s

Any advice out there would be greatly appreciated. Maybe do some kind of technique to work around this?

What type of budget do you have? Unfortunately fixing room monitering problems can become pretty expensive. I would suggest at least installing some bass traps in the corners of the room to tighten up the bass. There is DIY videos on YouTube showing you how to create your own if your on a budget. Also investing in a solid pair of audiophile headphones would help. I currently use the Sennheiser HD 650 which work really nice. Further than those steps things start to get a bit pricey IMO.

For me, keeping the Rokits a good distance from the wall. (At LEAST 12-16 inches( Angling them inwards like / \ also helps me. Making sure you have the Rokit adjusted and balanced on the settings as well.

And remember - Rokit often doesn't show you the full depth of the low end so it's easy, in my experience, to oversaturate and compress the low end

Back