monitoring

D

Diabolical

Personally I wouldn't mix with headphones because like previously said they are hyped up and no where near as acurate as a set of monitors. I do use headphones while mixing but mainly for spatial refrence. I always listen to my mixes in the car, but don't expect them to sound too great unless you have a kick *** system. In a car there is so much noise anyway. If you listen carefully to the pro produced stuff sometimes all you can hear is the vocals and the snare. Its the same with all the old beatles recordings.This is because the human ear will naturally fill in the missing bass if it has enough tops to go on. If there is no top end then the music will be lost. Also remember that a lot of the stuff you hear on the radio has been compressed to the max at the broadcasting stage. If your stuff is unmastered this may also count for some of the problem. A good way to check your mixes is to set up the mix at a reasonable level and then turn the volume right down so the bass isn't driving your speakers through the wall and check that you can hear all the elements. The unfortunate thing for us anal retentive mixers is that after all the time we spend painstakingly putting it all together,about 99 percent of people have their stereos set up wrong and miss most of it anyway!
Go figure!!

Back