Mixing two lead vocals

So you mean a lead vox and a background vox?

It just depends on what the song calls for ... a lot of times I like to run an EQ to give my background vox track the "telephone" effect... cutting the lows and highs and drastically boosting the mids.. then I'll turn down the fader a bit ... maybe pan it left or right.... sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Other times I like to add distortion... whether it be through overdriving my mic pre and really crunching it with tube saturation or adding it in later through a distortion plugin. Those are things I personally like to do...

More common things would include good amounts of reverbs and short delays (anything that happens under 30 milliseconds happens too fast so your brain can't process a distinct delay effect and it just lumps it in with the original sound giving it depth and pushing it back into the mix a little... at least I think it's 30 milliseconds ... maybe a little more or less)

Hope that helped you.

There are a billion ways to mix two leads. Sometimes I'll have them set exactly the same. More often than not though, one will be dominant. With the non-dominant one I might compress it harder, roll off more lows, make it direr or wetter, etc. It really just depends on what the song calls for and the texture of the vocalist.

I think you should definately decide which one will be dominant as the post before mine mentioned. If you have them the same I fear that the mix may be a bit confusing as they are both trying to take the lead. What you can do is switch them up so at some points one vocal track is the lead then later in the song switch it around so the other one is in the lead or do the switching more frequently etc etc.

To those who responded - what about the situation where you have a duet where one is singing fast and the other slow? Both are important and both need to be heard.

Step 1: use panning to separate them (not a whole lot, but enough to put them on different sides of the listeners head)
Step 2 and following: do what you would normally do to make either heard clearly in the mix......

Back