Mixing rhythm distorted guitars with bass - HELP PLEASE

ManuelMateus

this is a small portion of a song of mine,

I have spent days trying to find a good relationship between the guitars and bass but I have not achieved, I like the sound of bass, is already equalized, the guitars are without any kind of processing, as much as try equalize them I can't get to a a result satisfying guitar sound (that full guitarr sound) I need HELP
I have little money but if someone is interested in helping me I can create original arrangements of strings, piano or other type of synth for your songs.
I think the problem with the guitars could be my ears or the guitar tone
I really need Guitar guru to help me

If you are interested send me a PM

if not you can always comment on what you think is wrong in this mix

thanks all

Last edited:
Im not in my room so I wish I could be of more help.
I think the problem is the source though to be honest. Sounds like a cheap amp was used. Sounds pretty honky in the 800-1k region...I would maybe play in the 8k region and boost somwhere in the bottom maybe 100-200 to fill it out. You are probably going to have to make adjustments to the bass too. You could also use paralell compression to give an even fuller sound.

THIS Is with your tips ModernMixing thanks,
paralell compression helps a lot,and a bit of eq, but the guitars still sound cheap, it is worth asking the guitarist to record the rhythm guitar me again so I can do reamp with vst cabines an IR? the problem is that I have no money or time to pay him back again, and there are 7 more songs with thins guitar sound,wanted to try to find a solution using these audio guitar tracks before think in ask to record again.
thanks

I dont know lol. it might actually be the room reverb thats attatched to it. if its from a plugin I say take it off.

They both sound pretty bad. Is the phaser on the guitar from your DAW or the source recording? Also is it One guitar track or two?
Either way I can prob help you out, been recording guitars for years and have made some cheap setups with lackluster signals sound semi pro.

I'd imagine the latency from the parallel comp might be causing the phasing...

The first example sounds phased as well, and that was before he ran a paralell comp for the second example (I could be wrong?). The first ex. does sound like it may have a sample delay on it though.
But, being a guitar player, it really does sound like the guy had a stompbox on his guitar. which will never go away...

The first example sounds phased as well, and that was before he ran a paralell comp for the second example (I could be wrong?). The first ex. does sound like it may have a sample delay on it though.
But, being a guitar player, it really does sound like the guy had a stompbox on his guitar. which will never go away...

Yeah, it kinda does sound like that - but then again, there's the odd hollowness to the sound which leads me to think it might be just the room, as previously suggested.

here are the individual tracks

here are the individual tracks you can download, that phase problem I had already noticed it but i invert the phase in one of the tracks I have not heard significant improvements, thanks for your contribution,
the guitars here do not have any type of processing the bass have compression an EQ
I feel that this is like banging my head on a wall

on parallel compression guitars I used waves doubler and rock compressor with the following settings, they where used for each track, and really thought the guitar sound was fuller
paralel compression1.jpg

Last edited:
Hello man! Check this "panda sound store". These guys are doing cool project sessions for beginners. Mixing guitar, bass, drums technics. Metal, rock genres.

this is a small portion of a song of mine,

I have spent days trying to find a good relationship between the guitars and bass but I have not achieved, I like the sound of bass, is already equalized, the guitars are without any kind of processing, as much as try equalize them I can't get to a a result satisfying guitar sound (that full guitarr sound) I need HELP
I have little money but if someone is interested in helping me I can create original arrangements of strings, piano or other type of synth for your songs.
I think the problem with the guitars could be my ears or the guitar tone
I really need Guitar guru to help me

If you are interested send me a PM

if not you can always comment on what you think is wrong in this mix

thanks all

Hello,

please forgive the repetition if it is here:

Like previously mentioned source is critical---how are you recording your guitars/what gear or chain of gear? Make sure you've got your basics covered with that first.

For example: are you getting optimal gain from the guitar itself, and also throughout the chain of your gear into your audiointerface? Getting enough gain with a balanced signal (dynamics, frequencies) from the get go helps any mixing (or amp-sims) done later. Esp, with distorted GTR and bass gtr (for any genre), if you have weak or unbalanced signal into the computer or amp you aint going nowhere fast. DBL check your recording process, read some stuff again, aint no shame friend

If changing the source isnt an option remember the perception of audio is a freakin illusion, and this fact makes mixing/mastering a strange balancing act that takes place within specifically limited parameters (the end result being wav,mp3, itunes files etc). In normal ppl words and perhaps obviously: what specifically relates to you elec-gtr and bass balance is, the perception of balance ("the relationship") and thats all that freakin matters, everything else either gets you there, or it drives you in the wrong bloody direction.

How you balance frequencies (eq) and dynamics (compression, expansion) is what will give you the perception that these two instruments work together independently or are the same musical expression dependent on one another.

An example: (given the rest of the mix's content) cutting 12 db at 60hz for the electric-gtr may make the bass seem hefty bc you can now hear 60 hz for the bass without the gtr in the way, while cutting 6db at 60hz for the gtr may make the entire mix feel like amount of "hefty" is completely (and ideally: not noticeably) appropriate. Conversely: boost this same freq for the gtr may make the entire mix seem cloudy/boomy. There is a middle ground with eq and dynamics---insist on finding it.

In short never make final actions for the mix in solo. Solo buttons are great for detective work and incredibly handy when you're just starting the mix (likely tracks are at their worst muddiness or obscurity), but ideally as the song is being mixed/mastered the dynamics and frequencies will slowly be brought into balance removing freq/dynamic obscurity, thus removing the need for using "solo" to understand your available painting ingredients.

ANYWAYs, other than just spanking them basics and showing who runs the show, always know that the entire song, and the existence of other instruments in it, inform your ears. It just gets weird sometimes---sometimes having 20 db boosts at 60hz on a piano will make the entire mix seem filled-out and weighty (this assuming the other instruments lack 60hz, and that the musical arrangement of the song has the piano part playing an appropriate amount of music to give the entire mix such an amount of info at 60hz). Sometimes cutting 20db at 12khz on your drum overhead mics brings your top-end sheen into focus (assuming the OH mics had an unholy surplus of sparkle-shine at 12k and was shame-crapping on your mix, while all the other tracks had an appropriate amount of top-end near 12k). Again your goal is always the unified experience of the entire mix---for a pro sound you want killer gtr and bass relationship within an entire mix that seems "just right" for the musical/emotion purpose the artist originally intended. When in doubt and when stuff gets funky, use reference mixs, take ear-breaks, bypass in/out your plugs or gear.

Mantra to chant to yourself when mixing/mastering: "everything affects everything".

Tracks in, and changes to, your mix are: eroding the perception, maintaining the perception, or enhancing the perception

best,

-MadHat

Guys-- It is great to add information where pertinent that can be helpful. But just be aware of what threads you are reading and posting in. We have had quite a few "zombie" threads revived recently, and I'm not sure if you realize that the OP's question was asked four years ago (!).

Back