Mixing Questions

TinMan108

Wu-Tang Clan Student
I've been producing in Ableton for awhile and there are some mixing question I'd like to ask. My main concern is head room and how loud certain tracks should be in the context of the song.

Should the volumes for my synths like Massive and Serum be just below clipping if I am designing a sound ? as well as the volume for the whole track after EQ and compression ?

I see people working between -1db to -6db right from the start then compensate with a compressor (a compressor on the master track too), is this a common practice to get more head room ?

Thanks.

Try mixing at a very low volume while turning up the volume on you're interface. You'll have all the head room to play with.

Alot of the tips say keep the master peak at -3db, so you'd have some headroom for harmonic exciters and Master Eq, Reverb, stereo imaging.

I've been producing in Ableton for awhile and there are some mixing question I'd like to ask. My main concern is head room and how loud certain tracks should be in the context of the song.

Should the volumes for my synths like Massive and Serum be just below clipping if I am designing a sound ? as well as the volume for the whole track after EQ and compression ?

I see people working between -1db to -6db right from the start then compensate with a compressor (a compressor on the master track too), is this a common practice to get more head room ?

Thanks.
The main thing is that nothing clips or hits red. Yellow "is" the new red.
There's plenty of headroom below Zero where you can have all of your tracks peaking as low as -20dBfs and their will be no adverse effect.

Turn up your volume knob as mentioned. Mix for the song , bounce out at the native rate and master as another process dithering to 16bit after your final balance/level.
You can try to master on your mix bus, but it's sort of a bad habit to get into.. gl

Last edited:
A few things that can help also is to check by sweeping a multiband compressor in solo at the end of the signal chains whether it's a distortion free signal or whether there is difficult to hear clipping inside of the signal. It is also helpful to use monitors or cans that you can trust in terms of when the mix clips and when the monitors/cans clip. On cans it is the SPL data in the specification that is the figure that needs to be high, many cans break down before the mix clips and when you are clipping the mix during mastering you want to be able to separate the distortion from the content and the distortion from the monitors/cans.

Also pay attention to the effects you are using, many of them could be introducing the distortion on purpose.

When you gain stage it can work to add gain stages that are there purely to protect your signal and to leave you with more gain staging options later. Because late in the process you might have fairly long signal paths with many fx stages and it can be very complex to figure out (besides clipping) where the gain is best added or removed. Another thing is that with these additional gain protection stages, you are forced to work more efficiently with the signal because you have less headroom left, which means that when you then undo some of these at the right places it can sound very good due to the gain staging you've created. So I recommend that you build the mix in such a way that you have good gain staging options later on. If you don't have that, then at least ensure you are well free from clipping. But be aware that a signal that is very far from clipping due to a lot of gain reduction moves on a lot of places, can sum up to a mix that lacks depth at a specific playback volume. Since you are working against certain commercial loudness ranges, then it's going to translate into a depth issue when you decrease the gain too much, you are losing the natural character of the sound. An acoustic guitar for instance can go from stable, clear and comfortable to weak and muddy just because you don't have a good gain staging.

Another thing is that if you mix into processing, which I do, use a processing that not only makes your mix sound good because you mix into it, but also use a processing that guides your mixing moves to your goals because you are mixing into that processing. A typical example would be to mix into 100%L and 100%R, you can do so but because you have no room for additional widening you are more dependent on stereo widening tools and other complex routes at the point when you feel the mix is not wide enough. Similarly, you can create a fake clipping point that can help make you back off much enough. So when you know by ear that the mix sounds sweet because it does not clip, then when you also remove the fake clipping point, now you add that extra bit of distance to the ceiling and all you need to do is to ensure the ceiling on the last limiters are keeping the final signal free from clipping when consumed by a target encoding, as a secondary clip protection. So instead of having only a single clip protection layer, it is smarter to have a few.

Last edited:
Yeah I see people immediately hit red with the first instrument. Kinda stupid. And not necessary.

Tracks pile up. My individual tracks usually peak at -8.

The thing with peak values is that an unlimited track will have a peak value but 99.999999% of the track will not be near that. Peaks are really sparse. You need headroom for those peaks to live until you limit them out.

Alot of the tips say keep the master peak at -3db, so you'd have some headroom for harmonic exciters and Master Eq, Reverb, stereo imaging.

Yup, -3dbs is what you should go for during final mixdown.

During recording of the tracks, you should never be in the red. If you are, adjust your gain and volume until the red flashes occassionally or never appears.

Depending on the genre, study what sounds dominates those genres, like Hip Hop for example, drums and vocals are the main focus and should be on top of the mix, so everything else follows behind.

I find that clipping lights can often be a false alarm. Remember to monitor your prefade levels too, if your channels are monitoring post fade you wont necessarily see a clip light if the fader is low, but the signal into the channel could still be too hot and clipping.

Back