Mixing Plugins for Reason

notoriousben15

I am trying to mix a song for the first time. I had someone take a look and give me a basic rundown and he kept criticizing the mixers on Reason (v 6.5). He kept turning knobs and such and saying he would be able to hear more of a change with different mixing software.

I know nothing about plugins, it's a term i've seen on this forum that i feel is probably relevant in this situation. Could someone give me some basic info on what plugins are available for Reason, why i would need them, and if any would specifically be helpful for mixing hip hop tracks? Thanks.

ummm I'm not sure what your friend is talking about

the large mixer stage in Reason is a fully featured SSL Emulation that works exactly like an ssl - you actually have to turn the eq on in each channel before it works, same goes for the individual noise gates and compressors

there are channel strip compressors and noise gates as well as gain trim, 4 insert fx slots and 8 send fx send: more than enough to do some serious work without compromising on quality

seriously there are no plug-ins for reason, you can get their proprietory Rack-Extensions (REs).

Swapping to other software won't change the fact that your friend probably did not turn the eq on to begin with

Last edited:
Reason for the most part resembles actual hardware, so nope everything's in reason sept the obvious vsts unless there's standalone version or rewiring into another daw.

Back