Mixing with Pink Noise - A Pink Noise Mixing Trick

richnbk

You might already be heard about pink noise mixing trick or not, it’s an audio mixing trick that uses pink noise as a reference to balance the volume of the multi-tracks of your mixing sessions.
You will need pink noise, create your own or download it from here BDP-Pink-Noise.wav (30 Secs)
The main purpose of this pink noise mixing trick is to get all your tracks at a balanced level to start out your further mixing process, this pink noise trick makes it easier and faster.
Pink-noise-mixing-trick-noise-spectrum-768x232.png

The first step is to import multi-tracks you want to mix, now import pink noise you download from the above link.
Now bring the faders of your multi-tracks and pink noise all the way down.

READ MORE.....

I always get wildly suspicious of articles claiming "all the professional engineers do it like this..."

I've seen someone do the pink noise trick and it seemed to me like something that's done faster and more intuitively by ear.
Now maybe if it's a difficult mix, and you're just doing the mix on a song you've had no further involvement with, the stems you get are a mess..
it might be helpful to get a clearer picture of what you're working with. But I don't know.. I'd probably just get some good references, listen to that..
seems more fun and inspiring than to tire my ears with pink noise. Not as precise, yeah.. but you stay 'in the music' if you know what I mean.

first time I've heard about it. Personally I prefer having stems as reference, so when I mix a kick, I have a stem kick as reference ;) But why not having multiple technics

this technique is actually very useful! some big dance artists who mix there own music use this. Equal noise over each octave is extremely useful for a quick balance but ultimately the fine tuning of it has to be done by ear

I have some experience working with this technique

For balancing your frequencies its a good resource

But!
When you starting messing with the lines you start losing the balance and you should try to keep that balance till the end of the mix

Does this mean if you keep frequency balance your mix will sound Awesome?

Probably Not!
But it doesnt turn to a shit!

Therefor you should always keep your hears on References as well

Just my 2 cent

Back