[MIXING] How to get that special vocal effect ?

Izem

Hello everyone !

I am a new home studio engineer and I am facing a problem.

It has now been about three months I am mixing my songs in my home studio ; so I am starting to get not awful results. I am doing rap/trap songs on beats I get online or from friends (so I only mix my vocals).

Here is my problem : even if I am kind of satisfied of the results I can get considering my experience in mixing, I still can't get that effect on voice I am looking for and that (imo) make the song more professional.

Better than words, let's listen to this effect I am looking for:

As you can notice, the voice of the guy is not exactly the same when he talks at the beginning than when he raps. Of course his rapping part is processed and mixed but there is this effect on his voice that make all the difference: is voice is kind of smoothen/flatten.

on YouTube (sorry I can't post URL):
/watch?v=xb0TYXzZnpw

I am wondering what part of the mixing process (EQ, compress.., if not all) smoothen the vocals. Because that makes the vocals fit the beat pretty well. Or maybe it is the mic?

I am very interested in getting more information.

Btw, you can check a mix of mine here (I am French so it's French trap aha):):

/watch?v=68zLrxhMJ8I

You can here than my vox aren't as smooth as in the vid. :4theloveofgod:

If anyone has any clue of how I can get this effect, I would be very grateful.

Izem

sub to me @ YouTube

Ok .. The muddy area between vocals and beats is 500hz . Get a paragraphic eq so you can see ( i use fl studio)

Almost every beat cut the 500hz range so you dont have to boost your voice...

Im not sure if you layer your vocal tracks or not. Let me know if you do then I will write more. Subscribe first please !!!

Bro, you're mixing is actually quite decent. I understand you want vocals like the guy in the video, but its just about your vocal expression and proximity to the mic. Maybe adjust where you pop screen is if you have one (farther away from the mic) , and if you don't, that may be the only issue holding you back from a mix you would more prefer. Also, i like to use a Limiter to compress unnecessary peaks in audio. You can find a ton of free mixing limiters online aswell, but i like LoudMax. get it here if you want . Its simple to understand once you add it in your mix and use your ear. (Cant post links yet sorry) loudmax.blogspot.ca . big ups. hope i could help

soundcloud.com/youngtones

Some quick tips you don't have to subscribe to youtube for:

With vocals delay and reverb are your friend. Try experimenting with very short delays (few ms) between left and right channels.. don't overdo it, but it gives a nice bit of depth.
Adding very subtle (almost unheard) echoes can work nicely as well.. they should kinda blend with the beat and not stand out when it's playing, but it gives a nice effect in the quieter parts.
Reverb(s).. again use very subtle settings but don't be afraid to use multiple. They can give character, smoothness and more depth. Or ruin shit. But tuned just right it can be the magic sauce.

Compression can also make a big difference. Using a limiter will squash peaks, but a compressor can more subtly ride the gain and beef things up a lot, without giving that canned feel.
Also check out what a de-esser does. It's technically a kind of compressor, but used to remove sibilance and harshness, especially from vocals.

You should also check out parallel processing, which basically means you keep some of your dry signal in with your effected signal. That way you can add more of an effect without destroying
the source.

Back