Mixing on headphones myth

DimensionX

I understand that open back are better because they give a better example of the low end but if you listen to enough music on your headphones and get familiar with their frequencies and you make music according to your understanding of those frequencies listening to other peoples music, wouldn't it make sense that it would translate just fine? Soundstage aside obviously...

Doesn't this also mean that ultimately it doesn't really matter what headphones you use? I mean sure mixing with some may be more difficult than others, like if they didn't have a certain frequency that a lot of music does have, but then once you find a full spectrum headphone then you could just add those frequencies?

Like am I bang on here like I think I am or what?

I disagree on the notion that it doesn't matter what headphones you use. If they aren't flat, they will influence your mixing decisions. Being familiar with the response will help conbat a non-flat response, but know there isn't a way to pinpoint the specific frequencies that are too loud or too soft.

Using reference tracks is a way around this, if you know what you're doing. The specific set of headphones matters a lot less with that in mind.

A somewhat flat pair is still better that a non-flat pair.

the amount of times I thought mixes were perfect then went to monitors and realized a certain bass frequency was blasting through is pretty crazy, actually. Get some decent monitors and you won't regret it.

learning how your headphones sound is useful because no one speaker or pair of headphones is completely flat. learning your response from headphones/speakers is not going to make up for a bumpy response. (knowing what your car can do is not going to make it faster is it?). and even if it did bad headphones can cover up problems and if you dont hear problems in your mix you can know your headphones as well as you like but it's not going to help.
buying quality stuff is generally better since it will last longer and work better.

Last edited:
I would say don't mix solely on headphones or solely on monitors. Both tend to have their strengths but alone cannot give you a truly accurate representation of your mix.

I would say don't mix solely on headphones or solely on monitors. Both tend to have their strengths but alone cannot give you a truly accurate representation of your mix.

I agree, those 3 pair of completely different monitors and even more headphones in all those pro studios
arent just for looks. Checking your mix on different systems is key.

Back