Mixing with headphone

I'm relatively new to mixing and made the initial mistake of trusting my headphones-only for mixing. The downfall of headphone-only mixing became apparent when listening to my mix on an iPhone, car stereo, Hi-Fi HT system, laptop speakers, etc.. I still haven't gotten around to acquiring monitors, nor is my space acoustically treated. At this point, as long as I understand the limitations of the cans and have a strategy to compensate, I'm fine doing a lot of my initial mix on headphones. You should listen to your final mix on a variety of sound sources anyways-- not just monitors.

I'm no expert but when I mix I just try to listen on a bunch of different headphones, speakers, etc. and just make sure it sounds good on all of them

I actually mix with iphone headphones and switch between those and monitors to check the balance. It's a good system to learn the happy mediums imo.

I've notice that mixing with iphone headphones keeps it consistent most of the time. The idea being you are mixing exactly what you'll hear once you export and hear it over a playback device. If your mixing is solid - it translate well over monitors, car speakers, etc..

I realize it's not that simple and there are more factors.. but as far as mixdown goes it seems to do the job. That's why I won't (as most don't) be doing any of my own mastering most likely.

Probably will get flack for this but like many good producers will say - if it sounds good it is good.

Last edited:
Back