Mixing a full song with EQ

Ten Marie

hie guys I'm a novice in mixing and would want to know how you guys go about mixing your full songs with EQ (like individually equing every instru and vocals). I would be glad if you kindly direct me to such useful full song mixing videos.

Hi TM,

At this point there are probably literally hundreds, maybe thousands. Have you tried searching YouTube? Also we don't know anything about your set-up so we'd need more information first.

Learning what all the effects modules would do [If you dedicated alotta free time to that] would be bout a month or two.
Learning synthesis [or getting to mastery level] would take years in itself like the rest of producing.

I don't have a video to link you, but I would say to start with subtractive EQ'ing. If you can't distinguish what frequencies are generally playing in an individual sound, use a graphic EQ so you can see the frequencies being played, then manipulate the sound from there to see what it sounds like when you remove frequencies. Take away what is not needed from the sounds. For example, you could probably cut a lot of the very low frequencies off of a vocal recording that might have a small presence that is giving you less room for other low frequencies. Also keep in mind that even though the idea of mixing is to make everything sound good together, taking away too much will kill the character of the sound/instrument/vocal. I rarely do random cuts in any vocal recordings other than taking off some low end like I mentioned before and maybe a little bit of high frequencies.

I don't mix any vocals yet, but I'm always making beats and mixing them. I'm pretty much a novice as well, I've only been making beats for about 2 years now. I EQ every single instrument, sample, and FX. Some people say it gets rid of the "trueness" of the track, but I honestly like cleaner sounding tracks. How you go about this depends on what instruments, samples, FX, and percussion you are using. It would be pretty much impossible to say there is a "right way" to mix and all songs must follow that. All songs are different. At the end of the day, do what sounds good to you! Make sure you have some clean quality instruments and samples though or else all of the EQing in the world couldn't save you. Haha check out this beat I just made. I've recently just started to get cleaner beats.

Back