Mixing frustration

Kamran

I feel like my mix / mastering ability has not improved in the last 2 years
No matter what room Im in or what plugin I use, what tutorial I watch and how many nights and days I spent
My mixes are not clear as pro mixes
My instruments and sound design sucks too

Now Im in the 10th year of making music (first 5 years were just writing music) and I feel absolutely fraustrated

I wish spend all these years on something else because I barely finish any project ...

The truth is I cant even go back to something else, all those friends I lost when I spend making music ... Or my ego after 10 years

I left my job for music
I isolated my self so many times for music
I gambled almost everything on music

Even listening to music make me feel bad these days, make me feel like a loser

My songwriting ability is so much better (specially in my native language)
But when I think I should stop producing music and just focus on songwriting It makes me crazy

Post something and let's see if we can help. Things might not be as bad as you think they are.

I recognize what you're saying. Important thing here is not to let yourself get down. There's always a positive way of looking at things. It's in the eye of the beholder.
Did you check the information on this forum? There's tons of good information on this forum. Also about frustration of not getting where you want to be fast enough.
Did you try changing things up a bit? Try a different balance between learning new theory and practicing it.
Production lessons or coaching by a production and sound engineer would also be a good thing to get you to the next level.
Do you have ppl around you that also produce that you can spar with?
If you produce hiphop, there's usually hiphop events organized everywhere. From dance, graffiti to production workshops. Might be a good place to check out.

you isolating your self from other ppl, i think that is your problem. when you isolate your self from another ppl you will get less support, less feedback, less anything. music is fun but sharing your music is more fun.

Thank you guys for your positive responses !
Im in the game now, Again

yes I barely get any feedback, I live in one of those doomed country in the world, so events , gathering , ... these kind of things are abandoned here, the only hope for me is Internet to connect to the world.

I can focus on my local music market also, but the story is from the beginning I started with worldwide music, my standards, my expectation, my sense of melody is changed now, Even if I want to go that road, Im different from most of musicians around me

by the way
this is a track I produced recently , I share the instrumental with you, but I also wrote Topline and Lyric for it, Its a POP / R&B tune.

topline
https://soundcloud.com/ikamy/young_crazy_topline/s-oNsKR

the SoundCloud always makes my track horrible, I upload here also

Attachments

• Young & Crazy _ mastered12 _ mp3 _ wtrmrk.mp3
    7.4 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I feel your pain. It's very hard to make music while being sad. I cant do it, I just make shit music when I'm sad. Best music I make is when I'm happy.
My song in signature, I wrote chords when my wife and kid went away for a trip and I was sad, however the rest of the song were made when she came back, yea... so... point is. You need to get yourself a girlfriend that will make you happy, if you dont have friends to make you happy and keep making music.

Stop comparing yourself to the pros and their output. You aren't making their music.

I think you should approach the mixing of your music as the mixing of your music. Make your music the best version of what you want it to be, not a something stretched and squashed into someone else's idea of right.

Also, truly, there is no such thing as right. There are tastes that come and go. One person's "bright" is another persons "brittle". One persons "warm" is another's "dark". One person's "beautiful" is another's "boring".

To be honest, a lot of what many would consider perfect mixing to me sounds dead.

The most important thing with making music is to have good quality samples, instruments, and so on. Also certain plug ins don't hurt. Your track doesn't sound bad at all... It sounds like you and I are very alike. I used to think my tracks sounded horrible until people started to hear them and complement me. I've been making music for about 2 years now and I have progressed a lot in that time. Getting a beat super clean is really just up to good samples and EQing. Adjusting the placement of certain drum instruments can change the beat 100% for the better or worst.

Back