Mixing Explanation/Education Requested Audio Examples & Screenshots Included

Lets focus on frequency spread vs. volume that is my learning goal for this post. Post 1 (of 3).

So I compared a snippet of a trap beat I made with a professional trap beat Gucci Man Still Selling Dope Prod. By Metro Boomin.

Here is Metro Youtube:

Track Notes:
I am Using Fl Studio.
I turned the Metro Beat down so it was peaking at -12db.
I programmed my percussion and programmed my beat in the sequencer.
I turned output volume waaaay down on my monitors so I could hear what was loudest and compared the result with the Metro Beat.
I found a balance I liked on the faders.
I turned the monitors up to check the bass at high volume adjusted the 808 Volume.
Did a little panning of hats and melodic elements.
I added a touch or reverb and delay to the melodic elements.
Rolled off a bit high fizz on the melody synth.

That's it I did nothing else.

My beat is peaking at -12db just like the reference track by Metro.

Here is my beat:

I used Voxengo Span a free frequency analyzer vst which can be downloaded here to compare the tracks.

Real-time audio spectrum analyzer plugin (AU, VST) - Voxengo SPAN - Voxengo

First the Reference Track by Metro(remember this is turned down to be peaking at -12db on fl Mixer meter):
Reference Track Metro Span.PNG

Nice even frequency spread right?

Ok here is My Track (peaking at -12db)
My Track Span.PNG

seems like a huge bass spike right? Well guess what that bass spike is actually 5db quieter than the reference track by Metro. I cant turn it up any louder with out exceeding are artificial peak of -12db on the whole track. And you know what the track sounds like it has plenty of bass already.

As I listen my track lacks mid and high energy too.

I will analyze that in the next post below.

Post 2 of 3

So I loaded up maximus a multiband mastering compressor in FL Studio I used the default setting. With both tracks peaking at -12 db this applies no compression to the tracks as the threshold is too high. I just want to look at the dynamic range and db level of different frequency ranges. The Multiband frequency ranges are split up like this:

1) under 200hz
2) 200hz to 2000hz
3) above 2000hz

Here is the reference track by Metro at under 200hz:

Reference Track Metro under 200hz.PNG

Here is my track under 200hz

My Track under 200hz.PNG

So the difference is mine is peaking higher and the sustain is much lower than the reference. So compress? cause I can't really turn up the bass As I stated above.

Here is the reference track by metro 200hz to 2000hz:

Reference Track 200hz to 2000hz.PNG

Here is my track 200hz to 2000hz:

My Track 200hz to 2000hz.PNG

Wow much lower in peak and sustain in the mids on my track!

Continued in Part 3.

Attachments

• Reference Track above 2000hz.PNG
    Reference Track above 2000hz.PNG
    210.7 KB · Views: 22
Part 3 of 3

I'm not gonna post the screenshots but trust me I am missing high frequency energy in my track too.

Conclusions & Questions

I can solve the problem under 200hz with compression or ducking the 808 when the kick hits and turning up the sustain. I can work that out.

So how do I add more mid and high frequency energy without messing up my balance?

Do I turn up the mid and high percussion and melodic instruments?
That will mask the kick transient right?

Do I Eq the whole track? Thats a big boost that will introduce phase problems and I'm pretty sure that's not the best practice.

Do I Multiband compress the whole track? That can't be right that is essentially mastering and I thought mastering was only to squeeze out a few extra decibels. Not a massive change.

Do I pretreat the individual sounds by adding more high end and mids and cutting lows? This seems too random how will I know how much to boost without hearing it in context.

What am I missing? What don't I know or need to study? What am I doing wrong? Is there a better way to balance your mix?

I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

Back