mixing EDM requires a different studio monitors with lower end stuff?

Was reading that. So I guess my Tapco S5 is useless?

Do you mean that you need a sub-woofer to mix EDM? I do not agree at all. If you are able to hear low frequencies (30hz-100hz) on ur Tapcos, then that is enough for a good mix.

Compare your track to your favorite EDM tracks while mixing and you will be able to get a good result believe me!

EDM monitors

Do you mean that you need a sub-woofer to mix EDM? I do not agree at all. If you are able to hear low frequencies (30hz-100hz) on ur Tapcos, then that is enough for a good mix.

Compare your track to your favorite EDM tracks while mixing and you will be able to get a good result believe me!

I agree but you don't need a sub to make EDM. I use KH 120 As. They are awesome because the low end is quite apparent.

I think it's all about how you set things up. Few beginners get a pair of Rokits and then add a sub woofer.

That's cool but man the Rokits sound like doo-doo. Especially the mids and highs.

No matter what your budget is, don't invest in studio monitors unless you have money to buy good ones.

I don't believe there studio monitors for beginners,etc. You are either using quality monitors or you're not. Better to train your ears on good sounding monitors than something else right off the get go.

Just look at their frequency chart before purchasing one. Don't worry, the numbers might look like you need a math tutor to translate everything but if you have basic understanding of frequencies (Hertz) or know how to EQ, than you'll figure it out.

Totally agree with this.

Even top producers today often don't have a sub woofer. They have often complained that they have to turn the bass down, which is ultimately not what they wanted. Most people listening to EDM music don't even have a sub woofer anyways.

A subwoofer can be great if set up correctly, but it's far more likely that it won't be so best avoided. Learning your monitors and mixing environment is paramount, to do this you need to mix a lot with the same equipment and check these mixes on as many other playback systems as possible to learn any deficiencies you might have.

Online Mixing

Definitely could be helpful to get a sub but not necessary in my amateur opinion. Find a friend with a big set-up in their car or at home and do a couple reference checks before you release a track. None of that super low stuff is very musical anyways. You're just making sure it exists in the mix and isn't too weak or overpowering.

I use $1,200 a piece 5" studio monitors, and without the SUB woofer I can hear ZERO 50-80hz. Nothing! I've mastered over 1,500 EDM songs, many on the radio in Europe and it is impossible to mix or master the low end if you can't hear it. And without a Sub woofer, you can't.

Back