Mixing drums like Chuck Inglish

TDOT

What up FP?

I was wondering if anyone could give some suggestions on how to get my drums to knock like Chuck Inglish's from The Cool Kids.

To my ears and for my preference, I find he has some of the hardest hitting drums. They really punch and crack. If I'm not mistaken I hear a lot of reverb but what else is going on here?

Here's an example, but any of his songs I find his drums bang hard, they're definitely the focal point of his beats:

Chuck Inglish - "FOUR 12s" (Feat. Da$h & Retch) [OFFICIAL VIDEO] - YouTube

IDK if that helsp but man for me he's dropping GEMS.

Check out Von Pimpenstein's tutorial on mixing a hit song too.

And "Down On Me" mix session on youtube.

The three most detailed tutorials on mixing I've ever seen.

hey man. I don't know how much you know about mixing techniques already so I hope this is useful. The best way to get decent punch out of the kick like that is to put in the hours experimenting with a compressor, set the ratio high and threshold low so your getting a lot of gain reduction then see how different combinations of attack and release times effect the sound. When you get a nice punch back the ratio off a little to make it a little more natural sounding. Other things to try are parallel drum busses which therell be tutorials all over the web for, and experiemnt with different compressors some will have that magic sound right off bat. Anyway good luck!

Thanks guys,
Now just to be sure, parallel processing, we'll use compression as an example.
Is when you have your kick drum feeding through 2 mixer channels, one has the wet signal and the other dry signal? Is this right? Cause I've experimented with this but was not too successful.

Also is this the same technique they refer to when they speak of getting your bass to duck out when your kick drum hits?

I'd have to say I was stuck on getting my kick and snare the way I like. I've been successful with the snare and finally have my own personal technique I like to use, but the kick is still a no go. I very rarely like my kick, it's never exactly what I want.

Hey man. Yeah it takes time unfortunately, and knowing what you want is pretty important. The only shortcut around it is to use a sample that already has the sound youre after.
Yeah thats parallel processing, I find its most useful to use on your whole drum sound, so send everything to the same auxillary and compress that track, its not always going to be what you want but can sometimes add some more interesting character and punch.
Making the bass duck on the kick drum isnt the same thing, thats sidechain compression, probs best to look that up, its kind of lengthy to go into how to do it.
Another thing to try is adding a sub bass tone to your kick, check out plugins like waves Rbass - can be pretty useful.
Good luck!

Back