Mixing Beats

Shiva Beats

So when I mix my beats I usually do it manually and I try to avoid compression. Is this the better route or should I start to compress some parts of my beats

That depends completely on your style dude!

Alot of EDM producers (~2011 and forward kinda) compresses the shit out of their tracks to make them sound LOUD and IN YOUR FACE.

Metro Boomin, Southside and Tm88 of 808 Mafia has spoken very badly of compression. They're saying it squashes their dynamic range and therefore they mix their beats with gainstaging (volume) instead of using any compression. You want a louder kick? Raise the volume of it - dont compress it - is what they're saying.

So really it comes down to taste :cool:

It's a case by case situation. When I was younger I tried to look for a reason to compress everything but as I got older and understood compressors much better, I only use them for very specific situations.

I use EQ's to tame down certain frequencies that are problematic. Now lets say there's an instrument and every so often a certain frequency range kinda goes up ruining the sound, I would use a multiband compressor to just compress that part ONLY when it goes too high. That way I'm not compressing the entire sound but just this frequency area that comes up once in awhile. Another reason I would do this is if I use an EQ to carve that part out, that frequency area would be lowered the entire time which can take away some color away from the overall sound. I only want it to be reduced when the problem does happen. You really have to see the problem that calls for the compressor. And of course you can use it for a certain effect you want, which is all subjective.

I think it depends on what you are wanting to do with your track. I usually compress my kicks, snares, and sometimes my 808's. I don't do it because of some "unwritten rule"
I just do it because it sounds good to me and it's my personal style. Sometimes compression is the route to take, sometimes it isn't. At the end of the day dude your ears won't lie to you.

Back