Mixing ALL my Beats to sound the same in Volume !!

B

blood of a sampler

Alright point blank i knew the few basics on how to mix and its pretty good but when I want to make my beats sound mixed in the same volume there all different volumes I know how to read db levels and frequencies .I just want to mixx all my beats to sound the the same as or similar to a masterd commercial album any good suggestions'

should i record my drums in a pattern example'

kicks - 63% always

snares-54%

hats-59%

percs-57%

piano -60%

bass-50%

should i always record in a pattern like this inorder to keep all the db levels the same or what - i killing myself trying to mixx a master songs to same volume .

.help me please...

no no no

here's how I do it. I have a mastering project where all of my mixes are being mastered. All of my beats (mixes) are loaded into it, and I solo the one I want to master at the moment. When I switch between the beats (tracks), I hear how loud they are compared to each other and adjust the track faders on the mixer.

When it comes to loudness or perceived volume, forget about dB levels. They won't tell you nothing.

i got it down just like i mixx my beat i mixx all my tracks accordingly to volume , im i making sense ' i'll try it thou . A friend of mine told me just to keep the beats at a same level like for instance once mastered the songs just level to -6 db .right or wrong

thankks -t productions

Last edited by a moderator:
Heres the issuse with what has already been said.

volume in ref to how "loud" your mastered or mixed songs are can not be measured in dbfs ( for digital audio ) when you need to be using a diffrent scale called RMS which is included as a measurment in most mastering workstations ( wavelab, sound forge ect ) or as a plug in that range from free to a few grand.

You also have to take many other factors into acount and all of these can be summed up in the fletcher-munson curve. Room size, speaker placment, temp, our ears ect. So what may sound "equall level" on one system may be way off on another.

Now that being said there are books and books written on this subject but I will give you my quick run down. I use wavelab 6 and start with a audio montage that allows me to load my tracks, add the correct spacing and things like TOC and IICRC numbers and names. I load all tracks ( after mixed ) and a program called pinguin on my second computer just used for monitoring and check everything from RMS to freq's and spectrum to make sure I am getting the optimal sound levels for the type of music I am mastering. A typical hip hop cd these days is around -12 to -10 RMS which is very very loud but can be acheived without overmodulation with comp's and limiters by a good engineer and practice.

**This is by no means a complete guide so no flames this is just a quick reply to the OP

Last edited:
good looking on the info I know mixing aint a walk in the park nor a peace a calk but its worth asking thankks for your two cents it was really helping so rms and freq, spectrum analyzer gonna start using my visualizer vst more often .

and damn would you know the optional levels for ceratin music like hiphop,trance,r and b, rock it would be nice if you know of a list of percautionarie levels for differnt music .

SOLACE RODGERS OR DIRECT IN THE right place would be appreciate.

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont do much trance but rnb is -16rms to about -14rms as its a bit softer just take a cd ( not pirated mp3 music it has to be a factory original mastered ) and load one of your fav songs and check the rms. the newer the cd the louder of course the rms will be as we tend to "squash" tracks now.

thankks for the heads up ' ill check it out . I know the method on how to squash , its too use a comp, limiter eq to shape your sound buts very tedious in a way if you dont know what your doing .

The secret to mixing is not worrying about the overall volume of the track whilst mixing. As long as your drums sound right with the music you should be fine. Get a metering system (there is some good freeware out there) and get mixing :D

Heres the issuse with what has already been said.

volume in ref to how "loud" your mastered or mixed songs are can not be measured in dbfs ( for digital audio ) when you need to be using a diffrent scale called RMS which is included as a measurment in most mastering workstations ( wavelab, sound forge ect ) or as a plug in that range from free to a few grand.

You also have to take many other factors into acount and all of these can be summed up in the fletcher-munson curve. Room size, speaker placment, temp, our ears ect. So what may sound "equall level" on one system may be way off on another.

Now that being said there are books and books written on this subject but I will give you my quick run down. I use wavelab 6 and start with a audio montage that allows me to load my tracks, add the correct spacing and things like TOC and IICRC numbers and names. I load all tracks ( after mixed ) and a program called pinguin on my second computer just used for monitoring and check everything from RMS to freq's and spectrum to make sure I am getting the optimal sound levels for the type of music I am mastering. A typical hip hop cd these days is around -12 to -10 RMS which is very very loud but can be acheived without overmodulation with comp's and limiters by a good engineer and practice.

**This is by no means a complete guide so no flames this is just a quick reply to the OP

Somewhat true. They RMS is commonly used in mastering, but, hip-hop lately peaks more like from 5-9. Like "Star Is Born" - Jay-z peaks somewhere around 5 if I remember. Drakes Fireworks Peaks around 6 or 7 on the hook. and Not afraid peaks 5-6. It does damage the audio, but its just an illusion of "professional". Its not good to push it, but no doubt that I will.

Back