Mixing advice on my studio setup, sub coming through the mix or no?

Mike McKeon

DJ LowFrequencyDomination
Hello FP Forums, i'm pretty new here and had what i call a "studio" for the last 20 years but spent 16 of those years in the gaming industry as a 3d modeller, so i haven't been much into producing my own mixes much.

I have a Creative Fatal1ty Headset which, to me sounds fine with the levels, and i can burn a CD when i feel it is time to evaluate a lump of 5-10 mixes and listen on a Sony Bookshelf Stereo... but this time around i can't hear any bass coming from the bookshelf speakers, but it sounds fine on my headset. I turned on Bass Boost on the stereo and still sub was missing, and any pushing of the sub it will clip like crazy so i am wondering if it's a problem on my end. Using FL Studio v.12.5.1.5:

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Last edited:
The bass and kick is really weak on My speakers and is not clear. It sounds like the lower end of them is reduced, dunno hard to tell without seeing project file.
Need to work on mixing.
I like the crazy and odd aspect of the beat. :)

You need to make beats sound good on speakers first, and then on headphones, car speakers and mobiles. ;)

Took a look on Your other beats, they all lack power in low end ( not as much as in this track) where the bass sits.

Last edited:
Yeah, sadly i'm aware of that but all i had was a set of logitech 5.1 surround speakers but i spilled water on the sub and fizzed all 6 speakers.

I'm stuck with headset for now, which is irritating the hell outta me lol. buti figure it's a limiter doing the devil's work to me. I need to get backinto the app and shut off the limiter, Thanks for confirming.

BTW, Yeah, i've been into some crazy beats cuz of inspiration from rock bands like KoRn, AudioSlave, Slipknot, Etc. and DJ Paul Van Dyke Back in The Day lol... i like your prod.'s Purple Six, and this is the second time you gave me feed, looking forward to working with some vocalists (Hopefully) in the future, and Christmas is coming i'm gonna replace the broekn surrounds with some decent monitors at guitar center, only bought the logitechs to play Tom Clancy Series of PC Games lol. Thanks again bro.

Removed the Limiter, boosted all EQ made it shine and the mids should be solid, bass should now Thump, confirmation on good monitors or system would be great, thanks again for feedback, it was buggingg me, i'm never using a limiter again ;).

I'd send the .flp but i use TrackGod almost Exclusively, so you would need Elite version plus a couple Sound Banks in addition : |.

Last edited:
Do you use any sort of reference tracks? I’m sure there are many occasions where reference tracks aren’t necessary, but this scenario you’re in definitely seems to be a time that you should be using reference tracks.

By using a couple different reference tracks, you’ll have the ability to clearly hear what your track lacks, or needs, on your current limited playback system. Also, don’t be afraid to use a pink noise signal to get an initial balance of your mix.

I’ll listen to the track when I get home.

Yes, i have a good folder full of demo tracks but the amount of FX and side-chained Inserts are blowing my mind...

I'm a really basic/novice studio user because i haven't schooled myself in a lot of the plugins available, plus i haven't yet seen a walkthrough for a beginner in FL Studio to take dry channels to a level of mastery in the style that i am pushing for :( i think i'm just nervous about the forest and need to focus on just a tree or two for now ;).

Thank you for your attention on this one, i appreciate it, and your advice comes at a good time when i am worn out willing to relax with something i don't have to do all by myself. i will dig into the abyss of Demo Projects but i can't promise i won't be confused lol.

I've updated the same link in Original Post with the newest mix, and again i removed the limiter and it was pretty short work getting the sub level to peak without clipping, the deep kick to thump with similar results, and the rest of the spectrum to shine, though i have a unique problem now, during the heavy bass the treble will mix in low, then when the bass fades it will raise in volume and intensity all by itself, so i may need to pick apart a project that is Bass-Heavy with good Treble to find out how to Normalize the Transitions. Thanks Fam.

Last edited:
Drop the gaming headset and get some headphones for mixing and/or listening to your mixes, not gaming.

Yes Ma'am, i know that, i know you're busy moderating, i did say in the middle of the topic that i'm gonna try to get some decent monitor speakers at guitar center for XMAS ;). I got the Creative Fatal1ty headphones 2 Xmas's ago, ironically, and i wasn't making music then i was still working as a 3d modeller for an Indie Game Company, not making much money and figured that's a good bet, they are really nice but Production-wise, i'm doubting them as well.

Still looking for confirmation that the sub and 808 are coming through normally, and that the rest of the spectrum are solid too?

Yes Ma'am, i know that, i know you're busy moderating, i did say in the middle of the topic that i'm gonna try to get some decent monitor speakers at guitar center for XMAS ;). I got the Creative Fatal1ty headphones 2 Xmas's ago, ironically, and i wasn't making music then i was still working as a 3d modeller for an Indie Game Company, not making much money and figured that's a good bet, they are really nice but Production-wise, i'm doubting them as well.

Still looking for confirmation that the sub and 808 are coming through normally, and that the rest of the spectrum are solid too?

The bass is coming through now, it needs mixing tho. I would suggest checking out tutorials on YouTube on mixing and mastering. ;)

Last edited:
Back