Mixing advice for intermediate engineer

YeYoSoundZ

Will anyone with proper knowledge of mixing help me with my mixes ? I can get it to where I want but the vocals always sound filtered or just not crispy clear in a sense . I use studio one Pro with an USB audio box ... on my iMac and I use a audio technica 2020 with a reflection shield ...I keep researching EQ and compression I use the stock Pro EQ and waves RVox for compression ...maybe my settings are off . Idk I just need help ASAP ... first time posting hope I did this right ??*♂️

I have an AT2020 too, the way you position yourself to the mike has the hugest of effects on the recording of the sound. You know that right? As a first step to get a vocal more crispy, try backing off a little from the microphone... (you could test different distances and observe the difference). In other words, learn your mike!

Maybe if you posted a sample, one of us could recognize your problem.

Good luck

I don't know a lot about micing but what Synaptic says makes a lot of sense.

If you want natural sounding vocals, I suppose the key is to first capture as much nuance as you can. You're not looking for loudness at this stage, but range.
Next you're probably want to address the problem areas, remove the mud, use low ratio compression to even out the levels, gate the noise and take out ugly siblance, etc.
You're not mixing yet at this point, just preparing it for use in your music.

Then actually mixing it is about subtlety and enhancing it. Subtle harmonic distortions, tiny bits of delay, some doubling. Go very easy on the reverb for a modern sound,
or play with it (and gating) to get that big 80s/90s sound. Stuff like that.

localspace my workflow may be off... i use studio one.. i usually record everything dry then eq... i begin with a HPF rolling off about 50-100 then sweep for mud about 200-500 range cut about 4-6 db then add waves rvox ...use the gate ...around -14 - -24 .... compress around -12 on the slider... ...throw a compressor on my master fader L2 from waves and bang it to around -14 - -11

Okay that's not too bad. Definitely look at what some doubling and some reverb will do.
And saturation might be good to get a bit more presence in the midrange.

Problem might just be the beat though, it doesn't really punch through and makes the vocals stand on their own too much.
The flat sound is definitely the RVox and L2.. with the levels of gain reduction you're using that vocal is ready for an incredibly loud beat, but the beat isn't up to that, I think..
I like your flow though, if you can pass me the stems I wouldn't mind trying a little remix ;)

Last edited:
thanks bro ...I'll keep that in mind... it's hard to find a reProd. instrumental nowadays lol ...I'll look for a new one before I upload to SoundCloud and YT...

localspace my workflow may be off... i use studio one.. i usually record everything dry then eq... i begin with a HPF rolling off about 50-100 then sweep for mud about 200-500 range cut about 4-6 db then add waves rvox ...use the gate ...around -14 - -24 .... compress around -12 on the slider... ...throw a compressor on my master fader L2 from waves and bang it to around -14 - -11

Why do you put L2 on the master fader? and pull it down that far?

Back