mixer or no?

A

amanda1

what are the advantages of having a mixer outside the computer? isnt this redundant with cubase or logic? isnt this what these programs are supposed to do?

Well some people like working totally in the computer - but to me an external mixer is ESSENTIAL!! It brings a focus to the studio - where all the modules come together...

It'd be VERY difficult to get the computer to handle all of the external synth modules, other audio sources, Auxilliary channels (for FX mostly) and then different output configurations.

Real mixers allow you to grab controls, not point and click and the monitoring options are much easier to use.

For me - software won't replace hardware - i do use the internal cubase vst mixer - but only to mix down the audio tracks inside the computer and then they go through the desk as a stereo input.

?confused?

i thought a good breakout box could handle all the inputs ie motu 2408.......do you record tracks to a mixer then transfer to cubase? perhaps you could recomend a gooood booooook on the subject?

No - you don't record on a mixer - you mix on it...

A MOTU could handle all the inputs, but as i said, It still doesn't offer a hands on approach to mixing, or facilities offered by external mixers such as monitoring options and auxilliary outputs.

Also - you find me a 26 channel MOTU interface for £300, which is how much my mixer cost.

hmmm..

so perhaps i should get a good mixer and and a not so professional souncard/breakout box? are there mixers that convert a/d? do i have to convert the mixer digital signal to a different kind of digital signal to get it into the computer? if i had a mixer would i need a breakout box with all these different channels the motu 2408 has? 8 analog i/o 24 channel adat i/o 24 channel tdif i/o 2 channel s/pdif in and 4 channel s/pdif out? what about these mixer sound card combinations with midi interface all together?

Back