Mix sounds good in stereo, sucks in 7.1

Why does my mix sound good in stereo, but as soon as I listen to it on 7.1 surround it seems not even mixed at all! Stuff is drowning in reverb or simply playing way too loud. I am clearly missing something very important here. Does anyone have an idea as to what causes this and what I need to read up on in order to make ik sound better?
Thanks in Advance!
Greetings, EverBarz

PS: This affects all my songs, however it is particularly clear with the one linked below.

You finish your track in stereo?
Did you listen to something else then self produced music on your 7.1 setup? How does that sound? Make sure to also pick a stereo piece of music.
I have a 5.0 setup with two big tower speakers also handling the bass. Stereo sounds best if you listen to it in stereo is my opinion.
If music is mixed and mastered for 7.1 or 5.1 or whatnot, then it sounds good in that setup as well.

Mix it in 7.1 and it should sound better. You can also fix this by not listing to a stereo mix in 7.1.

Yes^^^^.

Two different mixes. It sounds unmixed for 7.1, because it is unmixed for 7.1!

I don't know the full technical specifics, but the problem is probably caused by sounds dipping into anti-phase. I suspect this is what it uses to create the feeds for the surround speakers... someone more technical can probably explain this better than me ;) In any case, you'll want to look into mono vs. stereo, phasing, etc.. There's good info on it out there..

Listening to your track, there's too much stereo.. the sounds are pushed too far apart. It gives a nice airy vibe in stereo, it sounds like there's stuff going on outside the normal stereo spectrum, it's great on headphones,
but it falls apart in mono or surround... because these sounds either drop out or get amplified.. knocking your entire track off balance.

Are you using stereo-wideners or anything like that? If you like to use a lot echo and reverb in your tracks, it's best to avoid these completely and craft your own stereo picture.

Back