Microphone recommendations, Under $60

OriginalPromise

I'm looking for a microphone to record because the one I have right now sounds like crap. I played with every setting there is but I can't do anything with this mic because it's so shitty.
Can you guys recommend me a microphone under $60? I might be able to spend a bit more but I'm definitely on a budget. The cheaper the better.
I'll be using it to record vocals for my upcoming single.
I live in the USA.

Thanks guys!

save your money and add a 0 behind it before looking for a mic (i.e. asking about a recommendation for a $600 mic is going to give you more quality options whereas a $60 mic is only going to choosing the best of the worst)

if you must have a mic for now get an SM57 (ca. $150) as you will be able to use it for just about anything later on when you know what you are doing even more so than now....

Thanks for the quick reply. (and you're right. i'm a newbie...)
What kind of a quality should I expect from a $60 mic vs a $150?
I'm a teen so my budget is very limited. (even $60 is stretching it)
I can't record anything right now because my mic is so bad.
Even if the $60 mic is a temporary solution, it's all I can spend.

Please note that I'm an amature, thus I don't need a mic that expensive.

P.S. I'm probably going to have to process my voice like no tommorow anyways. My voice isn't very great.

As BC said , save your money . When i was younger i didnt knew that 60 $ mics sound so crappy that i bought one . Waste of money . If you want to have a single go to an amateur studio you will have better results .

If you stil want a mic and you dont like the answers i think a friend used to record on Behringer c-1u and was very happy with it for its money .

Good luck !

I'd skip the behringer and just get the shure sm57 you will use it forever and on more than just voice

go on ebay and get an sm-57/sm-58

It is a quality "workhorse" mic that will always be useful.

And it is pretty much the cheapest "real" mic out there.

save up bro get yourself a good mic

always best to save up to buy for a long time

Last edited by a moderator:
Get the SM57 or 58. It's a classic and you can find it on eBay for a decent price, just choose the "Buy it Now" option so you won't have to deal with bidding. Also there's a Blue snowball mic under $50 that may be helpful

You can also use a measurement microphone like the Behringer ecm8000 which has a reasonably flat frequency response. The downside is that the response would be omni-directional and you would have work a little harder to control the plosives in the vocals. You would have to make sure you record in a dry place without any kind of room echo like a closet or a room with carpet and heavy drapes. Work on treating your room and your microphone technique; they are just as important the mic itself.

Back