Mic Help

D

DJ Deflation

Ive been using a crappy mic lately and it shows. Problem is im limited on money (im 17) and cant afford a $1,000 mic.

I dont know much about mics (as much as I try to read up about them on here and elsewhere) as far as specs go. And Ive also got some books but they arnt much help.

Im looking for a mic for a little less than $200 for a adult male tenor voice. I was thinking a cardiod true condenser (or could i get away with an electret?) but I have been told not to go under $300 for one.

Maybe I could buy one used?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

How much of a difference do you think a $200 mic vs a $300 would be? After a little reading, im thinking about the Studio Projects C1 large condenser.

It might be a week or so before I buy, so Im trying to do as much research as possible to make my first mic purchase a good long investment.

In that price range, really in almost *any* price range, the preamp is going to have FAR more impact on the sound quality than the mic itself. Cheap mics through good preamps can sound quite decent.

Amazing mics through cheapie preamps sound like crap.

A mic will only sound as good as the preamp allows it to.

MASSIVE Mastering said:
In that price range, really in almost *any* price range, the preamp is going to have FAR more impact on the sound quality than the mic itself. Cheap mics through good preamps can sound quite decent.

Amazing mics through cheapie preamps sound like crap.

A mic will only sound as good as the preamp allows it to.

very true, so get a decent preamp asap. (fmr rnp = 500$ and very good for that price)

Cheap and great - The RNP, Groove Tubes' "Brick" and Grace Design's Model 101. All are around $500, the RNP is a dual channel unit. The others are single. Top choice in sound quality of the three (IMO) goes to the Grace.

Super cheap and pretty acceptable - M-Audio's DMP3 and Rane's MS1b.

Your best bet if you're fairly serious about sound quality is to get one of the better units. If it's just "home demo" and pre-prod stuff, then you can pretty much use anything you want. If you're looking for good quality, you need to use good quality.

for mics at around 200 bucks id look at a mxl v67g, an at 3035, an at 4040, a rode nt1.

the best pres ive found on the cheap are hamptones (hands down the best 2 channel for 600$ you can buy) but you have to build it or a set of syteks. the syteks go for around 850 but are 4 channels, youcan get them with a burr brown mod on 2 of the 4.

Back