melody in major key sucks.sounds like lullaby.should i go for minor key always?

Reezy

hey guys. edm producer here. im having a major issue with composing recently when i tried to produce a progressive house track with major key. it was just horrible sounded like lullaby or something. i know avicii does well with major key. but i see alotta other producers use minor key for their tracks and it sounds good. so should i stick with minor key only?

Great read BC!

OP, to answer your Q, I don't necessarily think prog house in a major key is that bad. From my experience, it just tends to give off a happier, more upbeat feeling. (Of course it depends also on what sounds you use, effects, etc).

On the flipside, prog in the minor key tends to be a bit more "serious". Usually, there's a bit more of a darker mood. I don't know if it's right to say there's more emotion, but it's just different.

Don't confine yourself to one or the other. I think your mood will play a part as to which you prefer at any given moment.

You can make really happy cheesy songs in the minor key and really sad songs in the major key. Mood is not just about Key, it's about dynamics, contrast, rhythm, etc.

Edit: Also sound choice.

That being said, I'm not a big of fan of the major key either, but some of my favorite songs are in the major key and I didn't even know it until I looked.

Last edited:
just make what sounds good to you. Remember to, there is a natural minor mode in the major key. So you could be playing what you think is minor but actually still in a Major key. I would look into learning modes. It will help you a lot when your working with music theory

thanks guys. and i have found out that its all depend on the rhythm pattern. i dont have much knowledge about music theory and i dont know if its right or wrong but if i start a pattern with the fifth note of a major scale it gives that deep emotional vibe . and when i start with the root note it just comes out with the happy simple lullaby type emotion.

Back