this may have been asked a million times but...

From what I read about it

From what I read about it they used parts from the original masters and then they got Roger to do the vocoded vocals as part of the deal. I think he even did the arrangements for the vocoded stuff. At least at the credits he's listed for both performance and production

That shows how the 'big boys' (like Dre) do their stuff sometimes. If Dre needs a bassline to sound like a Bootsy bassline he'll try to get Bootsy down the studio to play the part. That's how he gets a lot of his authentic sounding stuff.

hey asylum

how exactly do you use this talkbox? Do you run it through a amp and record it or can you run your mic through it then into the mixer?

Its really kinda simple...

You need a mic, a keyboard & to boost your signal get a di box or keyboard/guitar amp for the keyboard sounds.
The Heil Talkbox comes with clear instructions & a diagram to set it up-so it will be easy...just substitute your keyboard wherever they mention guitar.

To make it simple-you just plug into the talkbox, put the tube in your mouth, stand in front of the mic and mimic the words that you want to say (DO NOT ACTUALLY SING OR LET SOUND COME OUT OF YOUR MOUTH!!!!)---that part will take practice...
as you are moving your lips, play your keyboard...there you have it. THE COOLEST $139 EFFECT ON THE PLANET!!!!!!!!!

peace!
Scott Slagle
Asylum Digital Recording Studios
http://www.asylumdigital.com

For example, "Men are not nice guys" by Grand Popo Football Club.

Man, I love that record and don't care what anyone says - a trance head can be into French house! Whenever I hear it it makes me smile! Lots of Frence house (Daft Punk, Air etc.) uses Vocoders... Check it out!

Cheers,
Filo.

Last edited:
Re: From what I read about it

EYE said:
That shows how the 'big boys' (like Dre) do their stuff sometimes. If Dre needs a bassline to sound like a Bootsy bassline he'll try to get Bootsy down the studio to play the part. That's how he gets a lot of his authentic sounding stuff.

Just wish I had Bootsy's phone number! :D

I don't know-I have never heard of it. However if it is the same sort of product-it will have the same setup...as that is the only way to make the box work.

I have never really like copycat products, though. I usually try to get the real thing. It is usually worth it.

peace!
Scott Slagle
Asylum Digital Recording Studios
http://www.asylumdigital.com

Real producers play hardware and software. Is the hardware too much for ya lazy ass? or you just aren't a real producer and can't play any hardware. You won't make it sitting around on fruity loops all day dawg.

Hmmmmmmmm? What was that about a PC not being enough? Welcome to 2018.

Back