Mastering Vocals and Instrumental..separately or together?

megaMIKE

Hello. I was hoping you all could answer a quick question. I usually track out a beat (without mastering) then export it as a wav into a new session of Pro Tools, where I then record the vocals.

I was just wondering if I you all suggest mastering the instrumental first before exporting it..or mastering the vocals and the instrumental together in the process I described above?

Any helpful tips? Thanks!

-Mike

U should mix the beat with the vocals, then mastering should come last. Part of the point in mastering is to get the optimum sound quality and level possible, so you will want to be doing it to the beat and the vocals as a whole.

Correct, you mix then master, but in practice, its best to make sure the tracks are as clean as possible (soloing to fix imperfections), then mix, then master.

I believe you're talking about mixing in the first place, not mastering. So really, mix everything together at the same time if you can.

I was sort of under that impression as well... :hello:

mastering and processing are two different things that often get mixed (pun intended) together, polishing a given track after it's been recorded is more like post production imo

thank you all. appreciate the tips. so..i should have the tracked out instrumental along with the vocals all on the same session? because the m-powered versions of pro tools has the 32 simultaneous region deal..is there any way to conserve tracks other than grouping the verses together? thanks again. peace.

-Mike

Last edited:
If you are making "beats" and you can't fit them in 32 tracks, you're probably doing something wrong.

codexlf said:
If you are making "beats" and you can't fit them in 32 tracks, you're probably doing something wrong.

First of all he was talking about the beat and the vocals. I've used 32 tracks on vocals alone and the beat alone also. You could also get the ProTools expansion pack that includes mp3 codec, 16 additional tracks (i think), and some cool plug-ins.

32 tracks isn't really a lot it just depends on he level of control you want in the mix. Personally if I can have every intrument in a different channel I'm happy because that gives me total control over all the volumes eq and FX. I will admit sometimes its a drain but sometimes it's great. The only real issues is large track counts use a lot of processor time so it can cause a need to have a higher latency.

32 tracks? I understand wanting control and with vocals especially if you have several vocalists+hooks and different melodies I could see but 32 tracks on just the insrumental? that just seems like a lot.

I would:

-Track the beat
-Record the vocals
-Mix everything (sometimes ain't easy because of CPU problems)
-Bounce (export) the beat and the vocals each as a seperated stereo mix
-Give the two files (stereo mix of the Beat and the stereo mix of the vocals) to the one mastering engineer you preffer the most ;)

This is how I would do it...
My mastering engineer is a professional who is mastering no.1 chart stuff...so it's a pleasure to work with him.
He alsways wants me to hand him out the instrumental and the vocals seperated...

Hope I could help you...
Peace

On the other hand...if a "underground" rapper is recording his tight rhymes over a "industry" instrumental, he is actually recording vocals over a piece of allready mixed and mastered music...

Last edited:
gracias gracias. i really appreciate the tips. i'll just try it all out and see what works out best. thanks again.

-Mike

--Mike:
you sound like your doin right already dogs!

--peeps that think 32 trx for a beat is alot:

Dont limit yourselves,

...Quincy Jones comes to mind,

buddy would probably use 64 trx to record a outgoing message on his answering machine.....

......and go platinum w/it

^^^Quincy jones is also from an analog era. He had to waste a whole track just to emphasise on one word. 32 tracks for a beat???That's way too much in a digital world.

What do you originally make the beats on? Because you can just make it in pro tools and use your 128 virtual audio tracks, or your 256 midi tracks? If you're using FL, Ableton(I believe) or Reason, you can rewire it to one audio track and mix from both PT and your Beatmaking Program.

And if you use automation, the most complex song's vocals can be put into 6-12 audio tracks. If you're using more than 32 tracks, you're limiting yourself, your CPU's drained!

Last edited:
Morning_Star said:
First of all he was talking about the beat and the vocals. I've used 32 tracks on vocals alone and the beat alone also. You could also get the ProTools expansion pack that includes mp3 codec, 16 additional tracks (i think), and some cool plug-ins.

Dag B, you got an orchestra or somethin? Put me on.

dvyce said:
using more than 32 tracks (that's 16 stereo tracks) is not particularly unusual.

I guess if your talkin 16 stereo its not too, too bad. I've gotten up around 12-14 before. But thats still a lot of tracks, with no vocals.

Last edited:
Back