Mastering - Speaker to headphones difference

R/\W

Hi guys,
When i'm working on my music i tend to use my studio speakers, but as soon as i switch to my headphones it sounds horrible, even after mastering.
I am a beginner so i guess this is a mastering problem, or it might just be bad on speakers and i just cant hear it ^^
does any one have any advice on my situation, you can see for yourself on my last track

https://soundcloud.com/r-w-727938935/wishing-for-hope

Thanks
Rob

headphones always sound horrible to me. It's silly to expect them to sound the same. All playback devices sound different. That said, if it's a RADICAL change, like stuff you don't expect, then you have a serious issue with your speakers - most likely with the acoustics of your room and also the placement of the speakers. It's also possible that you just have horrible headphones.....

Your mix should translate well to any device, regardless of it's quality. The essence of the song should come through. Like chris carter already mentioned, check your speaker placement. Also some basic acoustic treatment may help.

Listen to a lot of music on your speakers in your mixing position. So you learn how music should sound on your speakers.

Good pointouts above.
However let's not forget that the reason the track sounds horrible on a pair of headphones compared to a pair of speakers, could be the same reason why a track sound horrible on a set of speakers compared to another set of speakers - you need to A/B check and take your mix from there. And as so many people listen on their earbuds these days, this is a valid mix check to do imo.

It could honestly be any number of things. Here's a few:

1. Both speakers and headphones NEED to have a FLAT FREQUENCY RESPONSE
-I mixed for an entire year on expensive headphones that were drastically altering the sound before it reached my ears. Mixes never translated.

2. Room acoustics and where your speakers are positioned.
-You want to minimize sound reflections both in the room and between you & the speakers

3. The stereo image on headphones is drastically different from that on speakers.
-Panning, stereo depth, stereo width, reverb/delay, and as a result general volume levels are all effected when you switch between the two systems.

One last note, and I honestly do mean to be helpful, is this:

Mastering takes a super expensive room perfectly set up and a very experienced ear to do properly. Mixing you can do at home, mastering not so much (beyond a simple compressor on the master track to serve as "mix glue").

I wouldn't waste too much time trying to get a perfectly mastered track unless the above is applicable to you.

Hope that helps!

Back