Mastering with Ozone, Limiter not working on -5 db track

lanzia

Hello all,

This is probably a stupid thing and I hope you guys can help.

I bought Ozone 6 for do it myself mastering but I have an issue at the end of the chain where the Maximizer is.

The track I' m working with has a peak volume of -5 db, In ozone I only used some light eq and dynamics with the Maximizer at the end.
The instruments are spread out in the mix, it has no crazy transients causing a low RMS level.

The problem im facing is that the maximizer is not kicking in because the input signal seems to low,
even with the slider way down it only works on the kick drum slightly.

Whats the best way too solve this?
I was thinking about raising the input faders in Ozone but the input signal clips if I raise it enough for the Maximizer to kick in.

Hope you guys can advise.

Thanks

Lanzia

Just charge a preset corresponding the music you're mastering. Then tweek it until you obtain a good ouput.
The other solution is reading that f***ing manual.

Just charge a preset corresponding the music you're mastering. Then tweek it until you obtain a good ouput.
The other solution is reading that f***ing manual.

Can you point out the part in the manual please?
All I could find related to the input signal was about the input fader.
Again, I'm not sure if boosting the input to +5 and get it to clip is the way to do it.

The maximizer section.
Note, that reading all the manual is mandatory to understand what you can expect from Ozone.

The maximizer works as a limiter but instead of reducing the signal to get gain reduction you're maximizing the signal to get gain reduction.

In fact, a maximizer is a hybrid: It's a limiter that cuts peaks + gives gain. The more gain you're driving the more peaks you cut.

Your job is to get a nice balance between dynamics and loudness (but this also depends on the mix itself).

Back