Mastering with audacity

Ricky_therapper

so i was wondering if anyone knows any "tips" on mastering with audacity?
i mean, i know its not the best program to record with but hey, for me it does the job
so any effects that i can use to make my music sound as crisp as it can with audacity?

Hi Ricky,

what exactly do you want to achieve with your audio file(s)? Do you have a bunch of songs which have been already mixed on a proper level? Do you want to put them together as an album? For what kind of medium (cd, vinyl, mp3) or just "broadcast ready"? Are you looking for "the final touch"?

I´m just asking because a lot of people don´t know the difference between mastering and mixing. I don´t see any problems in using audacity as long as you know what you are doing.

Did you already read the stickies? They contain a lot of knowledge which could be helpful for you. After that you should be able to ask a more specific question to solve your task.

Don´t get me wrong but I don´t think that there is some kind of magic mastering chain out there. Some guys will use compression while others won´t touch it on the master bus. It all depends on your source material, the quality of it, your room acoustics, your vision etc.

Cheers
Halma

Dont do it... send it to get professionally mastered... if you cant afford it, then save up... eventually if you want your music out there you have to invest money in it...

so i was wondering if anyone knows any "tips" on mastering with audacity?

Don't.

Most people on here are working to get halfway decent at mixing alone. Mastering is not something for you to do. I mean you, specifically. How do I Know that mastering is not for you, specifically? Because you asked about mastering on Audacity.

Save. Save. Save. Then let an mastering engineer handle it for you. You'll get better product that way.

Peace.

When i first started rapping I used audacity all the time.. But never for mixing or mastering.. I just recorded the vocals and sent them away to friends with a higher level of skill than myself at the time.. Nowadays I mix, master etc.. Not in audacity tho

One main goal of mastering audio tracks is the elimination of clipping, the buzzy distortion that occurs when signals grow too loud.

Mastering can't really fix a clipped track (if it's clipped, it's clipped - the information above the clipping point just isn't there) if it gets that far - these should be indefinitely be fixed during the mixing phase, as is the case with about 99% of the issues newbies consider to be part of mastering.

I am pretty sure these tips can help u on effects with other programs as well,
One main goal of mastering audio tracks is the elimination of clipping, the buzzy distortion that occurs when signals grow too loud.
This isn't mastering but restoration. Such flaws must be fixed at the source. You have to improve your tracking and mixing skills first.

I am pretty sure these tips can help u on effects with other programs as well,
One main goal of mastering audio tracks is the elimination of clipping, the buzzy distortion that occurs when signals grow too loud. With Audacity, you can see if your track is clipping by watching the green bars in the Meter toolbar. If they bounce into red while the track plays, you've got a problem. To nix the clipping, you'll need to keep the output level below 0 decibels (dB), which is the loudest volume you can attain without losing quality.

The most obvious fix is to reduce the track's gain, or volume. Unfortunately, Audacity doesn't reset its red clipping indicators until you stop and replay the track, so you'll need to adjust the sound by trial and error. Note that if your track exceeds 0dB in its original recording, you'll never be completely free of the distortion.

Don't listen to this.

Back