master channel effects

A

AltheKiller

Lets say im mixing a track and its sounding quite well. I dont have the money to send my tracks to be mastered, what is a good product that I can put in the master channel to clean my sound. I dont reall want to get a compressor because I heard from too many people it takes away from the actualy mix. I just want something that makes my mix sound clearer and more defined that wont interrupt my actual mix. I was thinking a BBE sonic maximizer or an Aphex Aural exciter (big bottem).

Last edited by a moderator:
Maximizer's arent anything but compression w/ a different name...

Your sound should be clean fromthe mix... if it's not clean from the mix, then nothing w/ 'clean' it up... Clearer and more defined is so vague... what exactly to you want... panning and EQ clear up and define...

well i dont know. I know that sometimes even if a mix is good sometimes it can sound a little bad if your mixer or someting is not top quality. Are you familiar with the stereo enchancer in Fl studio? Even If i think my mix is good, whenever I use it my mix sounds better and less cramed and cleaner.

If a stereo enhancement algorithm or an exciter (which is actually controlled distortion at certain frequncies) makes a mix actually sound "better" then there's probably something in the mix that should be attended to.

Personally, I think that both are fairly evil - ESPECIALLY across an entire mix.

That being said - on a track or two here and there, if it really helps, and that's going to be rare, it might be nice to have around.

THAT being said, think hard whether it's actually making the track sound *BETTER* -- Most of the time the distortion will fool the untrained ear into hearing some "magical difference" that turns to nothing short of an irritation to others. With stereo enhancement plugs, they tend to immediately make a mix sound more "open" -- And it is! It's inverting the polarity of the *anchor* of the mix. It's more open alrighty - but in a "band-aid on a broken leg" manner.

kid848 said:
Maximizer's arent anything but compression w/ a different name...

Your sound should be clean fromthe mix... if it's not clean from the mix, then nothing w/ 'clean' it up... Clearer and more defined is so vague... what exactly to you want... panning and EQ clear up and define...

Hmmmmm? Have you had any experience with exciters? They are really nothing like a compressor. Like Massive said though I would stay away from these. I would consider them as well as stereo enhancers shortcuts that don't have the best result. I used to use a stereo enhancer on final mixes once in awhile but I've gotten away from that. I just try to open up the mix more in the mixing process. I do use a subtle overall compression once in awhile as well as eq and limiting.

Cameron Thomas said:

Hmmmmm? Have you had any experience with exciters? They are really nothing like a compressor. Like Massive said though I would stay away from these. I would consider them as well as stereo enhancers shortcuts that don't have the best result. I used to use a stereo enhancer on final mixes once in awhile but I've gotten away from that. I just try to open up the mix more in the mixing process. I do use a subtle overall compression once in awhile as well as eq and limiting.

But I said 'maximizers'... not 'exciters'...

thanks for the post, it had alot of information.

Would using compression on all ofyour tracks seperate, not saying I do, be just as bad as useing it on the whole mix even though you still are mixing each sound?

you ideally want to put compression on the individual tracks rather than the whole mix (2buss).
it allows you the most versatility to deal with whats required without other sounds getting in the way or being affected by it.

how much and when is dictated by the result you want and the sounds in the mix themselves however this is definately the best approach...though some summing compression can also be useful, escpecially drum subs but even the 2buss if you need or it helps.

generally this approach applies for everything. theres generally nothing that cant be done more effectively by treating the individual tracks within the mix than just lumping something over the top of the whole thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back