Master channel

While producing it's usually just a limiter and an instance of Ableton Utility to do quick switches between mono and stereo. Maybe a low-pass filter and a high pass-filter to be able to single out how the different parts of the sound spectra work.

When doing actual mastering I turn all of that off and usually run a saturator or two of some kind (probably tape and master bus emulations), perhaps and exciter, some eq, a few compressors and at least one limiter. I sometimes go into stereo-widening as well at some stage.

When doing actual mastering I turn all of that off and usually run a saturator or two of some kind (probably tape and master bus emulations), perhaps and exciter, some eq, a few compressors and at least one limiter. I sometimes go into stereo-widening as well at some stage.

Wont this create more unnecessary transients when it hits the Limiter? I only ask because I love using saturation however, bit scared to use it on final bus..

I'm guessing you mean pre-master

If I'm doing EDM I like to have a soft compressor as I work, since generally EDM music needs to be compressed heavier than other genres. So doing it from the start can help down the line (some producers like Shadow child start off with a brick limiter and have it work hard from the first sounds they write, which is crazy!)

If I write other genres like classical or hip hop/rnb for example i have absolutely nothing on there. There really is no need, it's more important on getting each sound right first and then worrying about the composition/beat as a whole

Wont this create more unnecessary transients when it hits the Limiter? I only ask because I love using saturation however, bit scared to use it on final bus..
No, the other way around actually! Tape saturation usually "dulls" sharp, quick, high sounds (like hi-hats) and make them a little bit less piercing. So you can usually push the limiter even more without crushing them completely. I use a plugin called TB Reelbus for tape saturation.

Last edited:
When I master my beats my master channel is like :

1) Sound analyser. To be sure my track are below the 6db before I start mastering
2) Compressor
3) EQ
4) Multiband Compressor
5) Oxford Inflator
6) Reverb (sometime)
7) Limiter

A ton of analyser plugins! Also the Ableton Utility plugin to switch between mono and stereo, but more importantly switching between mid (0% width) and sides (100% width). Also gotta have the Limiter there. I don't actually have this one when I'm mixing/producing, but switch it on from time to time just to give my ears a rough idea of how the track may sound when it's mastered.

When I master my beats my master channel is like :

1) Sound analyser. To be sure my track are below the 6db before I start mastering
2) Compressor
3) EQ
4) Multiband Compressor
5) Oxford Inflator
6) Reverb (sometime)
7) Limiter
You should try placing the sound analyser at the end of that chain. Since you still have a lot of processing done based on those effects, you should analyze it and the end of your effects chain.

When Mixing, I like the FLUX stereo tools which is a freeware, for controling the stereo spread.
stereotool-v3-full.jpg
A FFT analyser is useless if you own both trained ears and a correct monitoring.

I tend to render the beat, then master it

I use:
EQ
Multiband Compressor
izotope exciter
imager
maximizer

ONLY MAKE MINOR ADJUSTMENTS WHEN MASTERING,the mix is the MOST IMPORTANT PART, make a good mix and the master will be EASY!!!!

Back