Master Chain

My default is Izotope stereo tools, U-he Presswerk, and DMG Limitless. FabFilter EQ if I need it.
Sometimes something else to drive it a little into Presswerk.

Don't know much mastering but after I'm done making a beat [If it's fl studio]
I use the stock plugins/effects.

I do use thirdparty synths though like zebralette & nexus.
If talking bout vst daws.

Do a lot of hip hop. Mostly a

Knif Soma tube Eq
Tube Tech Smc2B compressor
Mytek converters
Waves Eq & De-esser
Fab Filter limiter

Knif Soma tube Eq - Nice
Tube Tech Smc2B - Nice
Mytek converters - Why
Waves Eq & De-esser - Why
Fab Filter limiter - Why

:p

I have not used Mytek converters, but I have heard the Mytek 192 ones. How much headroom (in dBu) can you get from your Myteks and what is the model you are using?

In my view you should immediately remove the Waves EQ/De-esser and Fab Filter processing from your master chain.

Last edited:
Knif Soma tube Eq - Nice
Tube Tech Smc2B - Nice
Mytek converters - Why
Waves Eq & De-esser - Why
Fab Filter limiter - Why

:p

I have not used Mytek converters, but I have heard the Mytek 192 ones. How much headroom (in dBu) can you get from your Myteks and what is the model you are using?

In my view you should immediately remove the Waves EQ/De-esser and Fab Filter processing from your master chain.

I don't really mix anymore, so this isn't part of a mix session. It's a dedicated mastering chain as that's 95% of what I do.
That probably explains the de-esser and limiter, which is needed for mastering.

Anytime you use analog hardware, you need to have converters to run it through, and the Mytek are clean and transparent.
I use the Mytek 8x192 for the analog loops and a Mytek Stereo 192-DSD Dac for monitoring.

For the times I do mix which I did for over a decade before switching exclusively to mastering, I rarely use anything on the master channel and sort of think you should keep the 2 processes (mixing and mastering) separate as it seems you are suggesting.
I was never a fan of trying to mix and master in the same session as it forms bad habits and is sort of like trying to ice a cake while it's still in the oven.

In a mix session, having an eq and compressor I think is common, but you shouldn't have to throw the kitchen sink on there, or else
that means the mix itself could be a little whack. ..anyway, sorry for any confusion.

I don't really mix anymore, so this isn't part of a mix session. It's a dedicated mastering chain as that's 95% of what I do.
That probably explains the de-esser and limiter, which is needed for mastering.

Anytime you use analog hardware, you need to have converters to run it through, and the Mytek are clean and transparent.
I use the Mytek 8x192 for the analog loops and a Mytek Stereo 192-DSD Dac for monitoring.

For the times I do mix which I did for over a decade before switching exclusively to mastering, I rarely use anything on the master channel and sort of think you should keep the 2 processes (mixing and mastering) separate as it seems you are suggesting.
I was never a fan of trying to mix and master in the same session as it forms bad habits and is sort of like trying to ice a cake while it's still in the oven.

In a mix session, having an eq and compressor I think is common, but you shouldn't have to throw the kitchen sink on there, or else
that means the mix itself could be a little whack. ..anyway, sorry for any confusion.

Thank you, this explains it well and no it's not confusing at all, one of the best posts I've read in a long time here. When I wrote the whys I understood why you do this type of processing at mastering, to me however I did not understand why you chose the Mytek for the conversion process and these software effects for the eq, de-essing and limiting processes. That combo degrades the sound quite a lot. This could of course be stuff that you are already aware of, maybe are saving money for hardware instead... Just wanted to sort of flag that this combo is working against you quite a lot in my opinion. But good that you have that tube hardware in there, that definitely helps you.

I do not have a single static setup, but these are the tools that I am primarily using for each component within my mastering chain at this time:

01) Leveler/Gain: Brainworx bx_Control V2

02) Warmth/Saturation: IK Multimedia Saturator X, iZotope Ozone 7 Vintage Tape, iZotope Ozone 7 Exciter, Metric Halo Character or PSP Mix Saturator 2

03) Main/Character EQ: Elysia Museq Master, IK Multimedia Master 432, iZotope Ozone 7 Vintage EQ, PSP Audioware MasterQ2 or SPL Passeq

04) Surgical/Corrective EQ: Fabfilter Pro-Q2, iZotope Ozone 7 Dynamic EQ or PSP Audioware Neon HR

05) Stereo Enhancement: iZotope Ozone 7 Imager or IK Multimedia Quad Image

06) Compressor: Elysia Alpha Master, IK Multimedia Precision Comp/Limiter, PSP Audioware MasterComp, Softube 1973 Drawmer or Vertigo VSC-2

07) Limiter/Dither: PSP Audioware Xenon, IK Multimedia Stealth, iZotope Ozone 7 Maximizer or iZotope Ozone 7 Vintage Limiter

08) Referencer: Sample Magic A/B 2 [Removed Before Mixdown]

09) Meter: iZotope Insight [Removed Before Mixdown]

10) Codec Checker: Sonnox Fraunhofer Pro-Codec [Removed Before Mixdown]

Please note that I use aforementioned mastering chain for R&B, Neo-Soul, Gospel and Jazz because those are the genres that I focus on. However, I would use it also for Hip Hop or any other genre.

Last edited:
My 2buss used to be very minimalist, just a compressor and that's it. But over the years it's gotten rather bogged down. Currently it is typically:
1) Slate VCC (always)
2) Cytomic The Glue (always; doing very little)
3) Ferric TDS (always)
4) Cytomic The Glue (most of the time; 2:1 in parallel usually with not more than 25% wet).
5) IK Master EQ 432 (sometimes; if I find I need to EQ the 2buss)
6) Limiter No. 6 - but I DON'T print it. It's just for checking my mix with a limiter on. I bypass it before printing the mix.

I like keeping my mastering chain very simple. I usually just use a little compression, saturation, and a limiter.

My 2buss used to be very minimalist, just a compressor and that's it.

In my opinion not minimalist enough, removing that compressor would be even better in my opinion.

Your current 2bus fx chain is better sounding than many ITB ones I've seen, but I do think you should just remove them and leave the 2bus totally free from plugins. That will help you get back some of the natural vibe present in the original frequencies, which will breathe emotion back into the music.

Last edited:
1-EQ
2-Imager
3-Normal Compressor
4-Multiband Compressor (if necessary)
5-final Limiter

Last edited:
I dont know about the others but I try to keep master chain as simple as I can
I usually try saturation on different elements on my mix, so If you do it because of Loudness I think it should be done in the mix

but there is not just 1 way, other pros maybe do different,

Like, zero Sausage Fatteners..?
I dont know about the others but I try to keep master chain as simple as I can
I usually try saturation on different elements on my mix, so If you do it because of Loudness I think it should be done in the mix

but there is not just 1 way, other pros maybe do different,

Back