Master

Sup people im new to this website so wassup anyways im having some issues with my beats i cant get them to -10 rms without sounding squashed and to loud to hear anything if that makes sense i eq and compress pretty good idk if its the peaks thats the problem but i need some help lol
Ps im using my bedroom for my setup and having regular monitors nothing fancy and im getting my walls acoustic treated soon

Sup people im new to this website so wassup anyways im having some issues with my beats i cant get them to -10 rms without sounding squashed and to loud to hear anything if that makes sense i eq and compress pretty good idk if its the peaks thats the problem but i need some help lol
Ps im using my bedroom for my setup and having regular monitors nothing fancy and im getting my walls acoustic treated soon

That range between -6 and -12 LUFS and especially between -7 and -10 LUFS, is where the magic happens. This is the where your skills with compressors are going to show and not only compressors but EQs and volume faders too.

It is a bigger and more complex world than you think. I think a good start to get a sense of it, is to put a hi-pass filter on vocals and gradually adjusted the cutoff point higher and higher and higher while you are amazed at what that does while you are maximizing the mix.

Yes i have done that with the eq before I don't like to boost anything 2k to 5k area only because when i compress and make that louder it literally hurts my ear thats those nasty frequencies lol but yes i do that eq technique when im looking for frequencies i wanna cut out but your saying i should just focus on LUFS instead of rms..cause its kinda tricky i had a beat with -11 rms that sounded louder than my -8 rms ?

Yes i have done that with the eq before I don't like to boost anything 2k to 5k area only because when i compress and make that louder it literally hurts my ear thats those nasty frequencies lol but yes i do that eq technique when im looking for frequencies i wanna cut out but your saying i should just focus on LUFS instead of rms..cause its kinda tricky i had a beat with -11 rms that sounded louder than my -8 rms 樂

In terms of level & meter both integrated LUFS and RMS are important.

There are however a number of various dimensions relating to dynamics that need to be mastered, much more complex than you think when we consider going for specific dynamic archetypes/mix sound types.

It does not appear like that at first when you throw a limiter on the mix bus, but you will quickly realize it is so when you observe the steep performance drop above say -12 integrated LUFS. For most engineers out there (excluding those doing this at the professional level), it is a very challenging process to get to a target quality level as you are approaching closer and closer to say -7 integrated LUFS. Why, because to succeed in this you need to understand the deeper aspects part of and within the dynamic process, stuff that is really not that much discussed online but that many pro engineers are aware of to varying degree.

One of the reasons why you need a deep insight into the world of dynamics, is because dynamic archetypes/mix sound types are to some degree a product of specific monitoring environments that allow certain gain staging performance to be achieved. With extremely good monitoring you can achieve really nice dynamics. Your dynamics insights are what allow you to understand how all of this works and how to achieve the sound you want. At that point it is getting easier and easier to succeed in the maximization of those last few mix dBs.

Last edited:
In terms of level & meter both integrated LUFS and RMS are important.

There are however a number of various dimensions relating to dynamics that need to be mastered, much more complex than you think when we consider going for specific dynamic archetypes/mix sound types.

It does not appear like that at first when you throw a limiter on the mix bus, but you will quickly realize it is so when you observe the steep performance drop above say -12 integrated LUFS. For most engineers out there (excluding those doing this at the professional level), it is a very challenging process to get to a target quality level as you are approaching closer and closer to say -7 integrated LUFS. Why, because to succeed in this you need to understand the deeper aspects part of and within the dynamic process, stuff that is really not that much discussed online but that many pro engineers are aware of to varying degree.

One of the reasons why you need a deep insight into the world of dynamics, is because dynamic archetypes/mix sound types are to some degree a product of specific monitoring environments that allow certain gain staging performance to be achieved. With extremely good monitoring you can achieve really nice dynamics. Your dynamics insights are what allow you to understand how all of this works and how to achieve the sound you want. At that point it is getting easier and easier to succeed in the maximization of those last few mix dBs.
Thanks for that advice man i guess just mixing more and more ill get better with experience ive gotten sorta better since ive posted that cause i been using my compressors for volume lol do u have any advice or anything u can recommend me to get better with gettin my LUFS to -12 but i have a question is that really important cause i was referencing a track and that songs rms was -9 with LUFS of -15 and it was pretty loud

Thanks for that advice man i guess just mixing more and more ill get better with experience ive gotten sorta better since ive posted that cause i been using my compressors for volume lol do u have any advice or anything u can recommend me to get better with gettin my LUFS to -12 but i have a question is that really important cause i was referencing a track and that songs rms was -9 with LUFS of -15 and it was pretty loud

Np. Yes it is important, but those LUFS and RMS figures also need to reflect great audio and music at those levels, where the dynamics play a huge role. Be aware that when you go above -12 integrated LUFS, you are stepping into the spotlight with your mix. :)

Last edited:
Np. Yes it is important, but those LUFS and RMS figures also need to reflect great audio and music at those levels, where the dynamics play a huge role. Be aware that when you go above -12 integrated LUFS, you are stepping into the spotlight with your mix. :)

Well now mixing and mastering can be challenging and fun for me now lol

Well now mixing and mastering can be challenging and fun for me now lol

lol :) Nobody is going to go: "Hey you are going above -12 integrated LUFS now, things can deteriorate from here" . You will just suddenly notice you are in the spotlight with your mix and it maybe does not sound entirely the way it should when you A/B. lol :)

Last edited:

LUFS is going to depend a lot on the material too. Very aggressive in your face pop and dance songs can easily have a LUFS of -7dB or even -6. You won't get that with some slow jazz song. Good thing streaming services lower everything to -16 (iTunes and Spotify at least), so mastering engineers could theoretically just concentrate on making everything sound as good as possible and not worry about whether it can compete with other songs in terms of loudness. So I'd say don't worry about getting your LUFS very high and instead play your part in ending the loudness war :victory:

LUFS is going to depend a lot on the material too. Very aggressive in your face pop and dance songs can easily have a LUFS of -7dB or even -6. You won't get that with some slow jazz song. Good thing streaming services lower everything to -16 (iTunes and Spotify at least), so mastering engineers could theoretically just concentrate on making everything sound as good as possible and not worry about whether it can compete with other songs in terms of loudness. So I'd say don't worry about getting your LUFS very high and instead play your part in ending the loudness war :victory:
Yes,thats what i thought i have a song at -15 LUFS that sounds great -7 would be to harsh for me.And tbh i dont really enjoy anything about dubstep or edm its just to loud to me but thats my opinion lol im a jazzhead and hip hop head

Instead of attempting mixing and mastering yourself leave it to pros.
I don't agree with that why waste time and money when you can simply have good realtionships with engineers and other producers that know how to mix and master and learn from them. This aint the 50s where everyone relied on the engineers and labels lol anyone can grab a DAW and mix and master tracks as good as pensado or up to par with him but thanks for helping

I don't agree with that why waste time and money when you can simply have good realtionships with engineers and other producers that know how to mix and master and learn from them. This aint the 50s where everyone relied on the engineers and labels lol anyone can grab a DAW and mix and master tracks as good as pensado or up to par with him but thanks for helping

You're welcome and what I mean is that this is the era where people think/believe that they should do everything by themselves with little to no interaction/intervention with and/or by those who have the skills they may not possess.

Back