Managing Top End in a mix

epic1beatz

epic1beatz
Not looking for any rules here but how do you go about managing the top end of your mixes? I find a lot of mine end up with a harsh sounding bite on the snare, hat, (any transient instruments). I don't think rolling off top on mix buss is the answer but just interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks all,

Room is unfortunately my kitchen, open on the left. Krkvxt8s and Sony studio headphones. Also, apple earbuds to check the mix.

Hi there!

While I agree with the no strict rule theory (hell, every song has its own unique rules) I do highly suggest that you monitor the highs of your mix before you master your tracks. The master is a pure representation of the mix (if done correctly) and should thus be thoroughly checked. Also, certain frequencies tend to 'resonate' more and create ear fatigue (primarily those in the 4-7k range) and might sound harsh and throw your mix off.

I would also highly recommend acoustic treatment as mentioned by rhythmgj.

Any feedback appreciate on my Starboy remix!

Addai

Room is unfortunately my kitchen, open on the left. Krkvxt8s and Sony studio headphones. Also, apple earbuds to check the mix.

Your kitchen will most likely have all hard surfaces which create reflection and flutter echo which will make it hard to dial in any sound with accuracy.
You can clap your hands once in the room and hear if it's sort of a hollow high pitched and fast echoy sound.

At the minimum, using speakers in a room with carpet and chairs/couch will help with absorption.
Headphones are alright to checking balance, panning and efx,
but not great for trusting eq decisions, so you're left with checking stuff on multiple systems/car etc.

Smaller rooms with hard surfaces are the least ideal to work in,
but, you have to do what you have to do until you can put together a room that you can trust. gl

Yes ^^^^.

You are at a disadvantage with your room/gear situation, but if you pick out music that fits within your genre, and that you know/can learn very well, then you can use that as reference material. Listen to these tunes (make a disc or files) a lot in your kitchen, and also try and take them "to the club," and listen to them there. Learn how the bass and highs sound on this reference material in your kitchen, and in the club. Then A-B this material with your own mixes, and you should be able to get closer to fine...

GJ

I find a lot of mine end up with a harsh sounding bite on the snare, hat, (any transient instruments).

Simply by saying that I already know that you are processing with software. But you are not alone, I just helped someone else here that was having a similar issue. It is about changing your idea about software, there might be some resistance to change deep down there though... LOL ;)

Back